1972 RHD Microbus Deluxe with Sunroof issue - Help Please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayjmartin

Reaction score
Hi

I have a sunroof on my bus that is not closing anymore. I'm a bit scared to touch it as I know they are hard to get working again and parts are tricky to come by, or at least ones that work properly, so wanted to do as little as possible to get it shutting. I found a you tube video that shows how the final turn pushes the roof up so it sits snug in the roof and this is the bit on mine that is knackered. I have attached some pictures that show the roof

If I want to get under the headlining panel of the roof do you need to take the sunroof off the bus?
I figure that If I can see the srpings that push the roof up on that final turn I may be able to fix it

I can prise the front edge of headlining panel out and could try pulling it down but i think i should be careful as I dont want to completely break it :shock:

Does anyone have any ideas on getting access to under the headliner without removing the sunroof?

Cheers
Andy

I could try to explain it, but its all in the Bentley manual. (well worth buying) I've had a few sunroof bugs and busses and they're not that difficult to get working. Everything has to be really clean and lubed and just follow the instructions and TAKE YOUR TIME.

Then you can have this again!!

You can't take out the inner slide without removing the ally runners, just prise it of the front clips and slide it to the back then you can see whats going on and make adjustments - could be the front gear if you havee takern that off recently and not put it back allowing for the revolutions?

Hi, I have not taken the front hear off so don't think it's that. Do these roofs ever slip so that they just need adjusting so the final turn actually pulls enough to make it flush? I may get the Bentley book, I'll have a look for a second hand one. Also need to do what you suggest and prise the lining panel off whilst its wound all the way back as I have not done this yet only done that when it's it I open enough to get my head round with a torch to look under the panel. Cheers for the pointers guys

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bentley manual is here, first section, part 8 :mrgreen:
http://mysicka.ics.muni.cz/cgi-bin/fotky.cgi?T3/VWBus1968-79ServiceManual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes the gear can wear and so maybe it could have slipped, you can drop it out easy enough and check it - also note that the gear only rotates either way a number of revolutions, turn the gear once you have it out and you will know what i mean, you can get them easy it is worn - let me know and I can stick a video on here of it operating if it helps.

Latest posts