2 pack vs cellulose

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trebor

Reaction score
What do you recon for the bodywork and inside engine bay. I can't do it all at once as I would love to but in small stages weather dependant :? My vans under a lean to so still open to elements :cry:

What would the original paint be ? Cellulose ?

I painted my bus with cellulose but I didn't paint the engine bay.
2 pack is more resistant to petrol/thinners , fading etc.

2 pack however needs full body suit and proper ventilation to spray, most paint suppliers will not supply 2 pack if you don't have a spray booth (or can't prove you have access to one). 2 pack is a strong carcinogenic and is poisonous.

Celly is fine for most things, can get away with much less PPE with little to no adverse affects to health like 2 Pack has.

I presume the original was probably celly but I can't confirm this.

For what its worth I would lacquer the engine bay, lacquer is mainly for UV resistance and to reduce scratches to the paint coat. Engine bays can be high wear areas though if your taking carbs off etc every now and again, hence why I would lacquer it.

Cheers, I thought cellulose was worse for you but I don't know anything about paints. I used to paint motor bike frames with high zinc primer a celly top coats with a brush. Does the 2 pack require baking ? The place I went to today would sell me anything I recon. How about me breathing through a snorkel and a bit of hose pipe as long as its far enough away :)

2 pack doesn't need baking, it will dry normally. Baking is used to dry it really quickly at a garage usually.

Its all about the prep with any paint, shit prep with celly or 2 pack gives a shit finish. Both give exactly the same finish if the prep is good, Celly normally needs cutting back after paint though.

In relation to PPE, 2 pack can soak into your skin and has cyanide (I think, or something like that) in it. Hence breathing through a snorkel would not suffice...

It's actually the hardener used in 2pack paint that contains isocyanate...

Information is a bit sketchy, as it isn't supposed to be in it now, but it still isn't nice stuff...

At the very least you need full face protection, as the paint vapour gets in your eyes and can damage your tear ducts too :shock:

there is no iso in any new 2pack on the market and the old 2k that was cancerous don't exist any more celly is fine if you want to polish it every month it fades to qwick every time you cut it it removes paint bird shit and acid rain will fuck it up that's why all the old cally buses aint got any paint just patina lol

Latest posts