• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

'64 RHD panelvan

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moler

Reaction score
I bought this, August 1963, '64 model year, UK RHD panelvan in September of 2007. A little over 6 months later I started the resto, and by July of 2009 it saw the road again for the first time in about 15 years. Now, some 12,000miles later as my daily, its up for sale.

It’s an absolute joy to drive, and will cruise at 70mph+ on the motorway all day if required, although I tend to only do 65ish. It stops well thanks to the disc brakes, and actually has a turning circle due to the rack conversion.

There’s only one earlier ‘late’ split panelvan on the register, and it’s both LHD and an EZ Camper so has windows.

I’d hate to think how much I spent on the resto, I guess it must run into 5 figures!! And that doesn’t include my time.

The whole resto can be seen here on the SSVC…
http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39870&sid=64926295cb1eb18bb8bf32ebcc3e8a28

…or here if all you want to do is look at the 1200+ pictures…
http://www.moler-one.com/bev/1-50.html

99% of the aftermarket panels used were Autocraft or Klassicfab.

I think this van can be considered rust free (except the front bumper!) and absolutely solid, check the above pictures and judge for yourself.

So, the spec as it stands…

Outside:-
Steering rack conversion, using T25 bevel box and Astra rack,
Lowered at the front using dropped spindles and beam adjusters,
CSP disc brake conversion, with dual circuit master cylinder,
All new rear brake parts used except the drums,
IRS conversion to the rear using early bay parts with all new bearings, with notched springplates,
Full set of Spax adjustable shocks,
AT gearbox (that sometimes pops out of reverse),
1641cc engine with 12V alternator, 009 & twin 40 Dellorto’s (29mpg everyday use, 34mpg on a run),
Vintage speed stainless exhaust,
30house SCAT fan housing (so no heating from the engine),
T25 engine hatch for fantastic access to the engine,
Just fitted, brand new Hella headlights with stainless steel rims and fitting,
The front wheels are re-rimmed Beetle solids measuring 5 ½” x 15 with 165/55x15 Bridgestone Potenzas. Their offset is such that it looks like a standard solid from the front, giving a very nice tucked looked without a narrowed beam,
The rear wheels are aftermarket 5 ½” x 15 Beetle solids with 195/65x15 Falken ZE512. Their offset is deeper,
A large amount of the components underneath have been powder coated,
The signwriting is only vinyl,

Inside:-
Gene Berg shifter,
Sunpro 5" Monster Tach,
Leather covered OG steering wheel,
SONY dvd headunit with 19” flip down screen in the rear,
6” Focal component speakers up front,
4 ½” Focal 2-way in the rear,
10” Alpine sub in a sealed box powered by a generic amp,
Propex LPG cabin heater,
The front seats have been recovered in black vinyl with a white piping,
Full width rock and roll bed,
Overhead rear cupboard,
Lap belts to all seats (6x)

The inside is partially paneled with hardboard, but the framework is there to complete the job. No headliner over the cab but it is included in the sale.

As mentioned earlier, there is no heating provided by the engine, all the heater cable conduits and heater pipe work underneath have been deleted too.

The wiring loom up front is OG, but from the fuse box to the back is custom and runs inside the van, all the correct colours have been used.

The drivers door is being pushed down by an out of shape top frame, I powder coated and fitted it up before realising there was a problem, there is a replacement supplied with the van. (this may get done depending on how long the sale takes)

There is also a replacement rear hatch supplied with the sale. (this may also get done depending on how long the sale takes)

The underside, having seen 2 winters isn’t quite as nice now, but a clean, rub down, and repaint, would return it to it’s former glory. Paint supplied (this may also get done depending on how long the sale takes)

Yes the front bumper is rusty! No rear bumper fitted, but one supplied.

Here’s a couple of pictures, but these are only taken from the 1200+ on the link above.
1282.jpg

1283.jpg

There’s few price options to consider,

Option 1£15,000 firm

Option 2No engine, £14,200 firm

Option 3No ICE, no engine, £13,990firm

I’ll consider PX’s but would need the majority in cash. PX’s I’d consider include,
Project Split
Project Early Bay (not ’72)
T4
MK6 Polo 1.4 diesel

I live in the DN40 area
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADRA_enGB357GB358&q=dn40

Contact me via PM
07762 282 995. (I can’t always answer the phone, so if I don’t, please text. Withheld numbers will be ignored)
moler2 AT btinternet DOT com

I know its not an EB, but i followed the resto thread for this on Outcast forum, and i have to say compared to the work thats gone in to this van most of our 'epic' restos are a walk in the park.

its an awesome van mate, good luck with the sale.

I saw it in the flesh as it was been done and after at vanfest.. believe me guys .. this is a seriously worthy bus!

Note to self : buy scratch card in morning ..

Hilly

Hats off to you Sir on the build of this one, your welding is legend. Good luck with the sale, i have passed some info about to some mates for you 8)