68 Bay ???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll pass it on to Grazy dude and let him know asap. Just PM'd him so he should get back to you. 8) :lol:

You going to Dubfreeze?

BeetleWarrior said:
Mr Dan said:
My Question is How sort after are 68 Bays? Are they hard to come by seeing as they are a one year only bay?
Welcome to the group.
Okay, have I miissed something about the bays? I knew the '68 models didn't have a wall between the engine and the fuel tank. But it was my understanding that was the only thing differant.
I bought a '68 months ago, but haven't started working on it yet due to weather.

So far the differences I have found are...

Outer cab door handles (Same as a 64 - 67 Split)
Cab door locks
Rear Hatch hinge
Painted dash (Euro models only, US was padded)
Front beam (Has the same chassis mounting points as a late Split)
Lower front trailing arms
Front Shocks (Same as the rear of a 1303s)
Rear Shocks
Rear Spring plates
Wiper rack spindles
Long rear view mirror
Some of the wiring
Oil pump (Same as a Type 3)

I sure there are more, it is VWs revenge for the '66 Cup Final.

Handbrake cable AUG 67-JAN68, no interior light door pins, inner front crossmember mounts,smaller front chassis rails,plus other things.what's the differance inlower front trailing arms,never had problems fitting later into early axles, might also be wrong on front shocks?

Front shocks sound wierd(remember the 67-68 Bay was 5 years before the 1303) Warning light pod on dash hasnt got any symbols on them and the inner sliding door handel is also different.

The bolt that the suspension fits over on the lower arm of a '68 has a shank, whereas the later ones do not. Or a least mine does, the front shocks I got from GSF to fit all Bays wouldn't go on and the parts guy did some checking on saw a '68 only one which has a part number that corresponds to the rear of a 1303 and a '55 - '67 split. Here is the GSF part no.# 45603. You can search it on this page...

https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/shop.asp

Actually if you search on that part no, they also fit the rear of a T3. If you go into the Type 2 suspension page it lists them there.

If you mean the lower arm bottom shocker mount,then yes it does have a 12mm shank with a 10mm thread and after 73 it 12mm shank and thread. The 1303 shocker is the same as type 3 but its not but its not the same as 68 bus,the sleeve in the bottom eye extends through the bush but on a bus it does not.

'67 BAY said:
If you mean the lower arm bottom shocker mount,then yes it does have a 12mm shank with a 10mm thread and after 73 it 12mm shank and thread. The 1303 shocker is the same as type 3 but its not but its not the same as 68 bus,the sleeve in the bottom eye extends through the bush but on a bus it does not.

Screenshot-GermanSwedishFrenchCarPa.png

The part no listed on GSF's website is for 68/69 bay, 55-67 Split. T3 and 1303s, which probably means they are giving out the wrong shocks on 1303's.:D

Oh yeah, How is the inner sliding door handle different? As the one that came with my '68 bus had a crack in it so I have bought another one off of Ebay and it appears to be exactly the same.

Latest posts