68 Bay ???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Dan

Reaction score
Hi All
I'm New To Your Forum!
I own a few vw's one of them being a 1968 Bay (RHD)(Build date Dec 67) My Question is How sort after are 68 Bays? Are they hard to come by seeing as they are a one year only bay? Is it worth me spending £3'000 on it to get it finished?
Cheers Mr Dan
Other V-Dubs i own :- 1970 Panel Van (RHD) & a 1964 1500s Notch (RHD)

hi mate welcome to the gang , i dont own one yet so dont know enough to answer your question . id like to see pictures of your 70 panel van as they are my favourite v dub looking to buy one very soon 8)

Mr Dan said:
My Question is How sort after are 68 Bays? Are they hard to come by seeing as they are a one year only bay?
Welcome to the group.
Okay, have I miissed something about the bays? I knew the '68 models didn't have a wall between the engine and the fuel tank. But it was my understanding that was the only thing differant.
I bought a '68 months ago, but haven't started working on it yet due to weather.

there are lots of people looking for panel van mate you will have no probs if you do wanna get rid . put the money towards the 68 , :D keep me posted re your van cheers Mr Dan

A 68 bay has a few other differences, most are quite subtle & you don't notice until you go to work on it.

The door handles are different for a start.

I think it would be worth restoring one, they look great & drive great, possibly the best type 2 model ever made if you are into using it.

Mines a one year only aswell in fact they are all one year only.
Ive had a good luck around a friends 68 and door handels, warning lights and firewall are the only noticable differences.
All early bays are worth saving if you ask me. Have a look around at any show and see how many late and crossover bays are about then see how many earlys are about. (its almost like the bay version of a Barndoor split)

I could be tempted to sell me van now for the right price!!!
If i can find out how to put pics on here i would so as you could have a butcher's at it!!!
pic2.jpg

Latest posts