68 g/box nose fit late box?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67panel

Reaction score
want to fit box from 1700 type4 into my 67 panel,68 gearbox has rubber mounting (beetle style )does anyone know if nose casting will swop ?1641 with 185 65 14 tyres should pull 1700 gears ok?

Trikky replied on another thread about gearbox ratios & his info is the 1600 & 1700 are the same
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18720" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
on the type4 box the spindle will have to be shortened by about 20mm if fitting a type 1 motor
sorry can't help about nosecone

I'm sure the spindle only comes into play when refering to the 6 rib 091 box as on the 2ltr motor the i/p shaft sits deeper also the bell is deeper, o the 1700 box I think its basically a 1 for 1, I've not looked into it as the 1700 was such a short lived motor..... EDIT - having a look through a few docs is it not the same box as a 1600 72 being an option year CE box

I fitted a 2 litre late bay CP code gearbox in my 1970 bay and it is correct,the rear mount is different (linkage end) this just swapped over.Also the input shaft is longer.Here you have a few options as it won't fit the standard 200mm flywheel.If you do swap the end cover over then whilst you're there fit a new hockey stick bush,ball and seal available from bear motorsports and a new rear linkage coupling.

1.Grind it shorter with an angle grinder (dodgy)
2.Swap the input shaft over for a shorter one (lots of work)
3.Fit the later type 4 engine 220mm flywheel (a lot easier) Edit- I mean 215mm not 220mm :oops:

Fitting the 215mm flywheel is what I did.You'll also need a 220mm clutch kit.The flywheel swaps straight over with the standard one.

I'm not 100% sure if the type 4 1700 gearbox has a longer input shaft though? But as Harlequin says the 1700 and 1600 ratios are the same,but the casing may be stronger and it has the mid hanger mounts.So it may not be worth the effort unless your standard box is broken.

I used the 2.0 CP box with a 1641 engine with was fairly standard with a 32/36 weber and it pulled ok and the cruising speed went from 60-65 upto 70-75 .If you can find one it's the best upgrade you could ever do.

Latest posts