'70 Deluxe Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scamperbus

Reaction score
Thought I'd share these pics of my 1970 7 seater deluxe bus. I've owned it since April, imported by Spike at House Of Dub (thanks Spike!). It's a bit sunburnt and a bit ratty but totally rock solid. Apart from being lowered and running chromies it's 100% original. Getting the fat 195/65/15's off the back is a bit of a nightmare :shock:

I've not had much time to do to much to it but I don't want to change it too much anyway. I think it's got the look. I've fitted a period blaupunkt radio & jailbars and replaced the front seat covers and seat belts. Mechanically I've done a brake & CV overhaul, dropped out the engine and gearbox to replace leaky oil seals which had ruined the clutch plate and replaced the gearshaft bushes/couplings so I can change gear properly and given the whole of the engine a good clean and service.

Only things left to do are fix the indicator which won't stay in the left position and fix the tailgate which gets stuck in the fully open position if you lift it all the way up :x

Oh yeah, I have a rock n roll bed that I'm going to fit if I can't find a proper Z-bed kit. I'd prefer to keep the original bench seat.

These pics were taken when I first got it. Haven't even had time to give it a wash yet!

xxxx.jpg

DSCN3178.jpg

DSCN3177.jpg

DSCN3176.jpg

DSCN3171.jpg

DSCN3168.jpg

DSCN3172.jpg

DSCN3173.jpg

DSCN3174.jpg

^^^WHS. :lol:

Likeing the bug too - like the W deck lid - always look smart I think 8)

Welcome to the mad house :shock:

I love it dude and virtually the same as mine...my left indictor dosn't stick either!

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=1911&highlight=

Man Your bus looks awesome :)

Your wheels are Mangels 356 right ?
It seems that the four rims are 5,5" wide : did you had problems do fit these on the front ? What are your tyre sizes ?

Thanks ;)

Thanks for all the comments. :D :D :D

MMMC: In an ideal world mine would look even more like yours!

I'm unsure of the make of the wheels, style-wise they look like OE 356 porsche wheels to me. I have no problems getting them off the front. I have 195/50/15s fitted so the profile is quite low (it doesn't seem to throw the speedo reading out too much either - real speed 60mph mine shows 58mph). Could probably fit higher profile tyres and stil get away with it as there's still quite a bit of room to the top of the wheel arch.

Getting the rears off is a pain. I'm probably going to end up going down to 185s in the hope they'll come out from under the arches easier. Don't want to change them really cos they still have a lot of tread!

Happy to read you didn't had problem @ the front. A set of same wheels is waiting to fit my bus and I was scared about front arches and 195's.

How much did you lowered the bus ? I'm wondering if I'll be close to your height with my future slammedpanel 4,3 spindles and a set of horseshoes.

It's down 2 splines at the back. Had to get it below 185cm from the highest point on the roof down to the ground in order to clear my garage door. It stands about 183cm now and it's dead level front and back. I checked it by putting a spirit level along the gutter!

I have a similar problem with my rear wheels as well. The good news is if you have to take a wheel off while you are out on the road it is probably going to be because it's flat. So easy peasy removal. I've got a 175 x 14 spare so i'm thinking it will be OK till I get to somewhere to repair the flat. On the other hand if you need to take the wheel off when you are working on the car you need to deflate it to get it off so having a compressor nearby is a good idea.
Hope that helps, we gotta do all we can to keep lowered buses low. They just look perfect IMO.
David

Welcome mate cool bus ,love faded paint and shiny wheels ,That patina on front bumper is awesome too :wink: 8)

Latest posts