71 front and rear hub question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munga

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Panelvan
So We’re doing up a 71 panelvan and was thinking of putting wide 5’s on it, now it could do with new front discs and pads and new rear brake shoes and it’s std stud pattern is whatever it is now my question is if I replace just the disc’s and pads can I just buy discs from EMPI with a wide 5 stud pattern and put those on my stubs with new pads?

I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure the wide five discs are a bit smaller and for beetles etc. Standard pattern on yours is 112 P.C.D. As opposed to wide 5 which is 205 P.C.D. I’m not an expert but I’m thinking the bearings are much smaller. But I’ve never considered it either or even thought of it. There’s a couple of empi wide 5 disc kits for sale second hand over on eBay, might be worth contacting the sellers and see if you can worm any info out of them.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,or moon discs :cool:

I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure the wide five discs are a bit smaller and for beetles etc. Standard pattern on yours is 112 P.C.D. As opposed to wide 5 which is 205 P.C.D. I’m not an expert but I’m thinking the bearings are much smaller. But I’ve never considered it either or even thought of it. There’s a couple of empi wide 5 disc kits for sale second hand over on eBay, might be worth contacting the sellers and see if you can worm any info out of them.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,or moon discs :cool:
EMPI actually make something like 5-6 differing wide 5 disc’s some are for ball joint front ends and yeh I have read some are for beetles but I’m sure someone will know something just a matter of time I’m hoping, hadn’t looked at EBay nice pick up Ozziedog

Just found this
https://www.justkampers.com/499-264...MI7_eH6JXKhQMV6JdQBh2X_Ab5EAQYAiABEgKSHfD_BwE

and this
https://www.justkampers.com/22-2940...MI7_eH6JXKhQMV6JdQBh2X_Ab5EAQYAyABEgKsZvD_BwE

Appears to be a 70 cut off tho. That maybe because 71 up were disc brake, so spindles are different, so you will probably need drum spindles to fit the kits or discs, which then wont be able to mount the calipers, so you will need brackets to hold the calipers, which you may be able to make to take stock calipers, or buy the kit, and use the mounts and calipers designed for the discs.

Although, just found that the wheel bearings appear to be the same all the way through..
https://www.justkampers.com/2114980...MIrKbb6JjKhQMVaJBQBh0-fQNzEAQYASABEgJgTPD_BwE
so if the kits use standard bearings, the wide 5 discs will fit your later spindles. assuming all the offset is the same as the late model disc. Then its just if the caliper will work with the aftermarket disc.
You may have to contact Empi or csp to see if the discs are sold separately, (would have thought so as they are a 'consumable') and if they are compatible with stock calipers. Possibly buy a kit, measure it up to see if the stock calipers will work, then return it unfitted, assuming you can then buy the discs separately.

Last edited:
Nice one man, (neilswheels) the CSP option would be cool if you could buy just the hub extension with the new stud pattern but a single cast would be a better option but I prefer to use my original calliper and baaaaaaam you found it man, The wheel bearings are the same, we actually might have a shooting match because EMPI do sell discs on there own

I fitted the early brake kit to my late drop spindles, needs an adaptor machining and the original calliper mountings removing. How to in Spliffy the panel build in gallery.

Nice one man, (neilswheels) the CSP option would be cool if you could buy just the hub extension with the new stud pattern but a single cast would be a better option but I prefer to use my original calliper and baaaaaaam you found it man, The wheel bearings are the same, we actually might have a shooting match because EMPI do sell discs on there own
Well keep us posted, Id like some wide 5's on my 71, and although I have a 5 stud drum setup, seems a bit backwards putting drums on...

I fitted the early brake kit to my late drop spindles, needs an adaptor machining and the original calliper mountings removing. How to in Spliffy the panel build in gallery.
Well keep us posted, Id like some wide 5's on my 71, and although I have a 5 stud drum setup, seems a bit backwards putting drums on...
Hey neilswheels, I’ll definitely keep updating this thread for sure. So my 71 has discs on the front and was the first for discs and that’s good but not to muddy the waters even more the 1972 bus upgraded the clippers to what I assume to a better design but different bolts pattern I am thinking but either way I’m definitely only wanting discs in n the front with drum rears but with wide 5 stud pattern

Latest posts