71 resto@ vwclassics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott wilson

Reaction score
Right well..i was commissioned to fix this bus....and the initial shots make it look ok...after shotblasting and then grinding back metal we discovered all kinds of tinworm hell.
If anyone were to ak me about the benefits of shotblasting i`d say that it eliminates the rust but it shows all kinds of horrors...as can be seen the initial bus looked OK
DSC00075.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

...THEN IT LOOKED LIKE THIS
nov09005.jpg

THEN I COULDN`T SEE SO GOT MORE LIGHTS
nov09188.jpg

nov09199.jpg

nov09189.jpg

nov09188.jpg

HAVING HAD A PROPER DIG AROUND THIS BUS IT NEED..BREATHE IN
two top hats, rear wheel tubs, rear corners, outriggers, jacking points, cargo floors, front tubs, front cab floors, front arches* cuts front clip inner and outer "cuts"inner and outer sills, chassis repairs.....in fact most folk would have scrapped this bus but it was salvageable and we knew we could do it...watch this space for updates

Nice work Scott 8) its nice to see a bus being properly braced when taken apart, makes for a much better refurb 8)

theres no where for any rust to hide now .
full on resto .
awesome work
:)

Haveacamper said:
Doris said:
now thats a proper resto! as the saying goes........."if a jobs worth doing............"

..........do it yourself

and dont pay someone else loads of money????? hehe

looks a lot of work

thirties pounds an hour plus the dredded i bet! :shock: :shock: :lol:

looks a proper job though!

I have to ask this but....

The guys obviously got some cash burning a hole in his back pocket, with that in mind why did he buy that particular bus? Why not get something with a bit of a pedigree? why not spend the money in a good original condition with character, style and life? to all intense this is going to be a new bus at the end of the day and no doubt a fine example....this kinda smacks of the splitty boys with their 50+ year old busses when most of its less than 5 year old....

I'm not deriding the commission it just fascinates me the lengths people will go to let alone the expense, i personally would much prefer something like your old deluxe as I know you would or something like Bertie in the for sale...

hat off to you for even qouting on it fella

that is crazy, all you are left with is effectively a shell :shock:

i dread to think what mine is harboring in all the parts i wont touch.....

Scott, question for you. What's the minimum height and width that you need to use one of those CJAuto's rotisseries? Trying to get a loan of one for use in a single width garage! The site says you can turn the bus in it's own space but .........

Cheers

Nick

P.S. looks like it's needing the same amount of metal as mine! :(

nick,
give colin a call. It does what he says it`ll do :mrgreen: Well happy with that piece of kit.
As regards why he wants this bus its the same old story really.He`s attached to it and wants it fixed. Our prices are extremely competitive @£28per hour inc vat but we only take on four jobs a year as we build spec busses from sa shells too and i don`t want to lose the personal touch

Fair do's we can all get a bit attached i suppose £28/hr man your cheap, but then theres a few hours in getting it to that state just there :shock:

Reminds me of mine (well almost) ;)

Keep those pics a coming.....

it looks a lot worse than it is. To see a bus like this is a shock for anyone but you have to eliminate the rust. The fun of stitching her back together has begun now...more pics soon

must be a better base van out there surely? or is it just me :shock:

Looks like a climbing frame ,my kids would love it...

The customer is always right... 8)

Latest posts