72 crossover bay factroy Hi-Top with louvers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'Day,

I like the high top - normally I don't but that one IMO looks Good.

I have a Devon Pop Top - It was on the van and one of the best looking closed, again IMO. However there use is limited, they allow you to stand up in the van which is damned useful (I'm 6ft) but that is about it, the bunk beds are only good for kids and they are prone to leaking - I have a sheet of white vinyl over ours to stop this. The replacement bellows are expensive, as you have no doubt seen....The Devon Moonraker has a good interior as well which you should, with a bit of searching ,be able to lay your hands on - they restore well being Oak Veneer

If you have a Danbury, those tops are great being side lifting - give ample space an have the windows as well. I'm gessing you can make a decent size bed up there - others may wish to comment. They also look good closed. Can't comment on the layout / furniture though, not looked at one in enough detail.

The question is what layout / conversion are you going to have that works with that high top, as if you use it would need to make the most of the space it offers you.

Just my 2p worth

Hi Passionkiller. Nice to meet you and thanx for input. The Danbury lid I suspect it had is the straight up 'turret style' looks rather like a later Devon, (the one that doesnt leak, sits down in the gutters) as opposed to a side hinged 'Dormobile' style. Apparently the aperture/hole cut in the roof is larger with this type (Danbury), rather like mine I suspect, I'm just waiting on Antoine, a prev earlybayer who has commented on this thread, who is kindly going to attempt to supply me with dimensions of his aperture to verify if it is indeed a Danbury type pop top I need.
Or as you suggest, and many others, to keep the Hi-Top. i wont be using any bunks anyway as my kids are 11 and 14 and prob to big for bunks, the top is going to be purely for standing room, I too am 6'2".
The Hi-Top is one of the better looking ones, not to big and clumsy looking, it just raises issues with storing the van over the winter etc. My garage is only small. I've priced a Carcoon which will fit a Hi-Top and its quite reasonable IMO at £585.00 but I have a soddin Jack Russell who likes to chew anything of mine thats expensive, italian leather shoes, Police sunglasses, brand new washing machines. Grrr hes a little shit, but I love him. :?
The Hi-top is unbeatable when it comes to storage though, loadsa room. This is my dilemma. Plenty of time yet though, bus wont be ready for roof being sorted till about April next year, just doin the ground work now so I'm prepared.

Thanx again matey.
Deano.

deanomavro said:
Hi Passionkiller. Nice to meet you and thanx for input. The Danbury lid I suspect it had is the straight up 'turret style' looks rather like a later Devon, (the one that doesnt leak, sits down in the gutters) as opposed to a side hinged 'Dormobile' style. Apparently the aperture/hole cut in the roof is larger with this type (Danbury), rather like mine I suspect, I'm just waiting on Antoine, a prev earlybayer who has commented on this thread, who is kindly going to attempt to supply me with dimensions of his aperture to verify if it is indeed a Danbury type pop top I need.
Or as you suggest, and many others, to keep the Hi-Top. i wont be using any bunks anyway as my kids are 11 and 14 and prob to big for bunks, the top is going to be purely for standing room, I too am 6'2".
The Hi-Top is one of the better looking ones, not to big and clumsy looking, it just raises issues with storing the van over the winter etc. My garage is only small. I've priced a Carcoon which will fit a Hi-Top and its quite reasonable IMO at £585.00 but I have a soddin Jack Russell who likes to chew anything of mine thats expensive, italian leather shoes, Police sunglasses, brand new washing machines. Grrr hes a little shit, but I love him. :?
The Hi-top is unbeatable when it comes to storage though, loadsa room. This is my dilemma. Plenty of time yet though, bus wont be ready for roof being sorted till about April next year, just doin the ground work now so I'm prepared.

Thanx again matey.
Deano.

My van had a Danbury roof, but I soon changed it for the far more superior Dormobile side hinging roof with two vents and two fantastic glass windows. They are by far the best roof in my opinion and its so nice to be able to see out when stood cooking/getting changed etc. and also they make the whole van interior so nice and light.

Keep the high top! 8)

Looks awesome, also it will be like rocking horse poo in years to come when everyones taken theres off :p

yeah beginning to fink along those lines maself. found this pic online before and its the same roof as mine with the louvers, fink it looks pretty mint. 8)

hi-topmint.jpg

Hi-Topwivlouvers.jpg

passionkiller said:
G'Day,

I like the high top - normally I don't but that one IMO looks Good.

I have a Devon Pop Top - It was on the van and one of the best looking closed, again IMO. However there use is limited, they allow you to stand up in the van which is damned useful (I'm 6ft) but that is about it, the bunk beds are only good for kids and they are prone to leaking - I have a sheet of white vinyl over ours to stop this. The replacement bellows are expensive, as you have no doubt seen....The Devon Moonraker has a good interior as well which you should, with a bit of searching ,be able to lay your hands on - they restore well being Oak Veneer

If you have a Danbury, those tops are great being side lifting - give ample space an have the windows as well. I'm gessing you can make a decent size bed up there - others may wish to comment. They also look good closed. Can't comment on the layout / furniture though, not looked at one in enough detail.

The question is what layout / conversion are you going to have that works with that high top, as if you use it would need to make the most of the space it offers you.

Just my 2p worth

Sorry I was thinking a Doormobile roof not Danbry :roll:

You may want to go for a cover instead - ProTec http://www.caravancovers.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; do a good one and can be made to measure I belive.

sorry i took so long, was wrecked last night and just fell asleep on the floor lol.
just got round to checking my emails and the measurements i sent to paris beetles (slightly extended to clean up edges) are 1940x1258mm i measured over the curve for the width, and the amount i trimmed off is probably 10/20 mm all in.

Hope that helps.

Hi Antoine, thanks a bunch for getting back to me mate. I think you've put it to bed, the measurements you supplied add up. Allowing for the curvature where you've measured and the ammount you hacked out sounds about right.
Much appreciated mate, sounds like it was a Danbury then.
Well after spending a week or so trawling through info and pestering all you gud gud people on here I've come to a final decision... After all that I've made my mind up. I'm putting the Hi-top back on. Its in great condition, (will be mint when I've finished restoring it anyway), The majority of people taking part in this thread recommended keeping it for a number of reasons, all of which make sense, it saves me money and time, no further lay out or adapting, The storage space and headroom it provides is excellent, it will set the van apart from the majority and finding the pics of the one above looking so cool (IMO) gave me inspiration to stay with it. Mine should actually look even better as I love the original colour I'm going with, (Sierra yellow and pastel white) plus its luuurvly low lighter... :) :D :lol:

Thanx again guys for all your input. this forum is brill and all have made me feel very welcome. 8)

On with the job at hand then!!!

Latest posts