72 rear outer wheel bearing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porkpie

Reaction score
Hi guys, hope you're all well.
I've ended up buying top quality skf taper rollers for the outer bearings, do I fit the spacers and adjust the play out of the bearing similar to the fronts?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Not sure on this one as I’ve only done them on my 1970 and that was a definitely not because they need to be torqued up to two hundred and fifty pound / foot I think it was, then on round to the next notch for the split pin. I’ve got a Bentley somewhere in the garage and I’ll be down there later so I’ll have a look for a torque setting or whatever it is, I’ll get back to you after lunch. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,day off today and I’m playing mend the fence panel :roll: ;) :roll:

Hi Ozziedog thanks for the reply. I know how to do the usual roller bearing style but I've ended up with taper rollers for the outside, which can't be torqued. I was assuming it would be like the old LT35 where they are tightened just enough to remove any play?
Also not sure whether the spacers are fitted or not?

The Bentley shows a roller bearing on the wide five set up and on the one twelve too, no mention of a taper bearing anywhere and only the two hundred and fifty three pounds torque setting for that rear nut. Did you take a taper or a roller off ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,intriguing :mrgreen:

Hi everyone, strangely it had a standard roller bearing on one side and a taper on the other 🙄.
I think I'll have to bite the bullet and buy another set of standard outers, more money down the drain.
Does anyone have any recommendations for make, as all the ones online look fairly rubbish?
Regards as always, Si.

Ok guys, quick Sunday morning update. I've ordered a pair of outers via eBay, went for T25 syncro as the part number is the same. Seller had 5% discount for a pair and eBay had a 15% discount code. Came in at £36 for the pair of febi bilstein with 3year guarantee, compared to£120 for the skf! Will be interesting to see what the quality is like.
Enjoy Mother's Day, regards, Si.

I seem to remember fitting the same ones myself ... no issues after 3 years [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts