A '71 panelvan resto.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherNumberOne

Reaction score
Hello. With my own '71 panelvan resto languishing at the back of the workshop, I thought I'd post up some pics of some work I'm doing on a customer's van so he can have a look at the progress. It's had an interesting life. The destination code on the M plate is for Zambia, and it was bought by the uncle of the person who owns it now so it's a one family van. I think the original owner made the interior himself, but it looks like the roof is an early Westfalia one, although I'm not that clued up on westie stuff. It's got the ply lining on the inside of the roof and it seems to have been done well. The louvered window is the same as used on Devons, so I guess that got added later after he moved back to England and brought the van with him. The van has been here for a few decades now, so it's in no way a 'rot-free import' ;)

I like to repair original front panels if at all possible, but this one was rotten in loads of places.

The inner windscreen surround also needed to be replaced.

New inner windscreen surround welded in and part way through removing the inner valance.

A Pillars repaired.

New inner valance welded in and everything painted.

New front panel on and trimmed down ready for the early lower front.

Indicator blanking panels going in.

All finished. The dents around the left indicator are from transit damage, they look worse than they are.

This is an early '71 with the rolled rear arch rather than the late arch which came in part way through the '71 model year. There's not much diffrence, just the pressing on the lip is more defined on later '71s.

The rear corners were completely shot and had already been replaced once.

These lower corners aren't great, but look ok if you take time getting them to fit properly.

Another bit finished. The rear arch is the latest Klokkerholm offering. It's still a crap pressing, but they've galvinised it, so hopefully it will last longer. This is as good as it gets for late arch repair panels unless autocraft or Klassicfab start making them :(

Wow :shock:

Thats some top metal work skills 8) - blimey that bus needs some fresh metal!

Typical looking UK bus with the usual rust areas.
Great work dude. The owner will be very pleased with the work done so far :D

BrotherNumberOne said:
The rear arch is the latest Klokkerholm offering. It's still a crap pressing, but they've galvinised it, so hopefully it will last longer. This is as good as it gets for late arch repair panels unless autocraft or Klassicfab start making them :(

Klassic fab did start making them but they were 110 quid EACH :shock: :shock: and like all of KFs bay panels were impossible to get! I was speaking to Musclebus about 2 years ago about getting some. I really wish Autocraft would sort out their bay stuff, they keep promising to do more stuff but I guess there is more money in split panels :roll:

Fortunate Son said:
BrotherNumberOne said:
The rear arch is the latest Klokkerholm offering. It's still a crap pressing, but they've galvinised it, so hopefully it will last longer. This is as good as it gets for late arch repair panels unless autocraft or Klassicfab start making them :(

Klassic fab did start making them but they were 110 quid EACH :shock: :shock: and like all of KFs bay panels were impossible to get! I was speaking to Musclebus about 2 years ago about getting some. I really wish Autocraft would sort out their bay stuff, they keep promising to do more stuff but I guess there is more money in split panels :roll:

I'm hoping Autocraft get it sorted as well. They do early arches, and their stuff is top quality and supply is better than KF.
Thanks for all the comments:)

Got some more done this week. I've been doing this van in sections round other jobs, so the jacking point and outrigger and area just above them had already been repaired, so once i'd cut the front arch away I repaired the last bit of the bulkhead behind it.

This is a klokkerholm front arch, so needs loads of extra welding before it's fitted. Once VW brazil stop making panels, the latebay lot will have to get used to this sort of thing ;)

Once fitted, you can see some of the welding marks. It all fits nicely though, just needs some extra work.

The seat belt mount needed work as it had about four layers of metal round it, all rusty.

Lastly, the floor needed work. It had a couple of plates welded in, but they had been welded over the old rusty metal and were rusting through again. The plate between the chassis legs was pitted but not too bad, so I cleaned it up and sprayed some weld through primer on it before welding new metal in.