A friendly hello and a q that will hav been asked 1000 times

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakalino

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
my name is Adam and i am the proud owner of a 1972 bay which at present has seen better days!
i am quite confused however, about the differences between early and late bays (aside from the bumpers and indicators) and the crossover models (have they got high front indicators or low??)
i am unsure of which model mine is aswell and what the front end is supposed to look llike as someone has removed the bottom of the front panel. it has high front indicator holes but i read somewhere that nobody makes an early bay front panel (unsure on how true this is)
i have a replacement front panel and would like to have the low front indicators. if i get a low light lower section, will it weld pretty much straight onto the bottom of the late front panel?
any help would be much appreciated.
cheers
Adam

Hi mate welcome along

Your '72 should indeed have the more attractive low lights akin to Early Bay models, you find that quite a few buses in the past have had the Late panel fitted without the attention to detail of refitting the indicators in their rightfull place :? Basically you need to weld plates over the current indicator apetures and find some cuts from an early front panel indicators and weld these in........there are lots of clever guys on here that have done it, look through the gallery section for inspiration.

The cross over model has the late bay large indicators and square air intakes, with the early front wrap around bumper and low lights, it has a fixed rear valance (early is removable) and disc brakes and a servo. There are other differences but these are the main visual differences.

Just

lol my apologies, pics on the way. thanks for clearing that up, i like the low lights better :) i noticed that justaircooled do a low light lower bumper, are they any good?

here it is coming round the corner...

IMAG0349.jpg

and pulled up in the drive

IMAG0351.jpg

my first veedub :D i am well happy! a lot of work i know but at least when its done i get the bragging rights!

is that neptune blue i see? danbury is probably a good guess then, they all seemed to be neptune blue.
looks a big project. we will be demanding a build thread when you get going on the resto.

it will be the least i could do, im fairly green on the whole thing so many questions will be asked! hahhaa

i dont think its as much as it looks, the guy who had it before was doing it up to be a showcar and had started on it. from what i can see, it needs a couple of struts on the chassis and floor sorting....a floor sorting, a new rear window, front and the outer sill opposite the door. brake lines, clutch and acelerator pedal cables running, new brakes and suspension, a paint job and an interior. ive started the engine rebuild so i'll pop some photos of that up when i get a resto thread going :)

the inside looks very much like neptune to me. its what mine was before i started rebuilding it. the before pic is still on my avatar <<<

Latest posts