A word to the wise...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmcg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello

Thought I'd write a post on here as its Christmas season/deepest darkest winter :D , have been lurking around on here for over a year whilst restoring and working on my van. Reading posts and getting ideas and so on. I thought with my van everything was electrically sorted all wires checked connections checked fuses changed, bulbs renewed, checked by an auto electrician etc...

But on Friday driving from London to Wiltshire on the A303 had a major short out and all the electrics and lights failed whilst driving along (turns out think headlight bulb has come out of housing on a very large pothole and shorted). Managed to get the van just off the road and grab a fire extinguisher to douse some smoking wires before too much damage was done and then have a very long wait for a cheery recovery driver.

What I would say even though I thought I was totally prepared for most eventualities, the importance of having an emergency grab bag with warm clothes emergency lights and a fire extinguisher close to hand (and not neatly tidied away in the boot). Also all passengers being aware of this as well.

Boring safety post over, drive safe this Christmas all. :-D

tmcg said:
Hello

Thought I'd write a post on here as its Christmas season/deepest darkest winter :D , have been lurking around on here for over a year whilst restoring and working on my van. Reading posts and getting ideas and so on. I thought with my van everything was electrically sorted all wires checked connections checked fuses changed, bulbs renewed, checked by an auto electrician etc...

But on Friday driving from London to Wiltshire on the A303 had a major short out and all the electrics and lights failed whilst driving along (turns out think headlight bulb has come out of housing on a very large pothole and shorted). Managed to get the van just off the road and grab a fire extinguisher to douse some smoking wires before too much damage was done and then have a very long wait for a cheery recovery driver.

What I would say even though I thought I was totally prepared for most eventualities, the importance of having an emergency grab bag with warm clothes emergency lights and a fire extinguisher close to hand (and not neatly tidied away in the boot). Also all passengers being aware of this as well.

Boring safety post over, drive safe this Christmas all. :-D

Good call, and thanks for sharing. I don`t have a grab bag but I do have a spare warm coat in one place and a bobble hat hidden in the back and a couple of pairs of gloves hidden behind the seat and a warm pair in my buddy box and a brolly etc etc. Might be a good idea to have the `Grab Bag` just ready to pick up and go. What`s the chances of me finding all these things in an emergency or a panic as I`m not the brightest individual in the world and possibly worse when stressed :roll: now there`s a surprise :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Good shout, and Merry Jingle Bells to you and yours :mrgreen:

How staring you had this issue, about 1 month ago I had a similar issue with my rear number plate light, the end result is a new loom !!!

Yeah thinking a loom is going to be the way to go just to be sure all a ok [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts