Adjusting standard spindles?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busboy1971

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I am brand new to this site and to owning a VW camper. Somebody mentioned that it may be possible to lower my 71 bay at the front by adjusting the standard spindles ( as in grinding away to customize) has anybody heard of this before?
Any info would be well appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
Busboy1971

no, dont go near the spindles with a grinder unless your excellent at welding, it would be cheaper (and alot safer :wink:) to buy a set of dropped spindles doing the same job. you cant put a price on piece of mind.

dont know anyone that does a spindles reworking service like that, but im sure someone on here might.

PS.... welcome to EB :D

hello mate, as Johnny has said, dont touch your normal spindles, sell em on and buy a set of dropped ones much safer and easier 8)

Thanks Guy's, Will stay well clear of cutting mine up. The lowered spindles that you purchase, are these just standard one that have been cut and re-welded?

Thanks again.

Mark
Busboy1971

You used to be able to get welded spindles (not sure if you still can?) but they always had a poor safety reputation... if you buy decent dropped spindles they'll be precision machined instead!

Oh, and welcome to EarlyBay.com :D

;)

Busboy1971 said:
Thanks Guy's, Will stay well clear of cutting mine up. The lowered spindles that you purchase, are these just standard one that have been cut and re-welded?

Thanks again.

Mark
Busboy1971

they are normally forged and milled in one piece with the spindle (made of stainless, i think) pressed into the main arm and welded for extra strength in some cases

like these....

05022008721.jpg

picture is from creationblue's lastest purchase, theres a set of horseshoe plates on the left for the rear end too.

Latest posts