Advice need on how to progress the replacement of tophat

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exuptoy

Reaction score
I am happy enough with the progress on my bus as I have no issues with removing rot where it's a straight forward job but this one is making me think.
Which areas need to be stripped out first to access the top hat. I realise I am going to have to replace the 12inch section of chassis and the outrigger anyway but how would most attack this?
Do I need to remove the inner arch section.
IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

Keep carefully cutting until there's no more rust and see what's left. That was obvious wasn't it! :lol:
You're going to find more chassis repairs needed behind that outrigger so I'd get that off and mend the chassis first, appraising the rest as you go.

Thanks Zed, Is there a need to brace somewhere when I cut out the 12 inch section due to the fact I now have no sills, not much middle panel, no b pillar bottom etc. If so, where would I apply the brace piece? The last thing I need is for the bus to sag when I chop it out.

If there was just rust there anyway it would already have sagged? Just don't cut out too much at once and you'll be fine. You're more likely to warp it getting carried away welding on full power, so after tacking in the repair do an inch here and and inch there then let it cool. ;)

Cheers dude. ;)

Right I have a new question?

I have been up the garage and got 2 top hats renewed/repaired but due to the fact I have no lower panel/arch tub at the rear and no lower arch/b-pillar at the front I cannot locate the inner sill to anything.
Am I right in thinking the dropped section of the top sill seam sits flush with the i-beam as per the 1st pic below or can someone provide me with measurements of how to locate the inner sill as when I repair the last top hat at the rear the I will need to locate the sill but don't know how or where to tack it all?.

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

ZedBed said:
Check out the other side which you haven't chopped off yet?
Hahaha, DOH! why didn't I think of that. :lol: :lol:

Cheers again dude. 8)

Latest posts