Advice needed - installation and setup of twin webers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOM68

Reaction score
Now then, I have purchased a set of Weber’s idf 40’s that were running well on a 1998cc engine, the chap I bought them off has been very honest and said they have not been used for about 5 years. I have not taken the carbs part, however on initial inspection, the outsides are as clean as you like, the butterflies move freely and only a little bit of dust in the internals that I can see .

So a couple of questions I have are:

The carbs currently have the following set up - Air corrector's 200/Emulsion Tube's F11/Main's 140/Chokes 30. Can someone confirm if this setup will work OK on my 2007cc nine?

I don’t mind getting my hands dirty and want to give the installation and set up a go myself, the installation will be straightforward, however it is the tuning that I have not done before. I appreciate the carbs will not/may not run perfectly straight out of the box, so is the tuning easy enough? I only trust one guy to do work on my engine, however he is not located close to me, so don’t want to end up not being able to get the van to him to sort it out if I can’t get it right.

Now the for the stupid question ;) I know I should strip and check the carbs internally for debris etc but if they are as clean as I have seen so for, do I need to go to the additional lengths of a strip and rebuild. If I do strip them, am I going to knock out what could be a perfect setup....?

TIA

Paul

I would strip and clean if i was you. Loads of work to install and then find out they don’t run right. It won’t take long and is good insurance imho.😊

Now regarding the jetting, i can say it’s quite close, but every engine is different, even with the same displacement. Things like compression ratio, cam, etc can change the jetting on the engine.

My suggestion would be to get it all installed, then take the Bus to a rolling road that knows ACVW engines and get it tuned properly. I use AB garage in Hawarden, Adrian knows his stuff and for now, he’s the only person i recommend when i built engines for my clients.

Abel🤓

As Abel says, I'd strip, clean and check the carbs before fitting.
The jetting should be close enough to run, although I'd go to a rolling road to get it set up correctly. If you're in the Bristol area give John at JPR Tuning a call.

Cheers chaps,

I stripped them over the weekend and blew them throw with some air. Well pleased with their condition! am going to wait till next year to fit them and have the bus put on a rolling road.

Latest posts