advice pressing bottom ball joints

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricvw

Reaction score
Hi last time i did one i ended up cuting up the old ball joint in the arm with blow torch and chiseling the remander out after it would not press out but that was in my old 71 which was very rusty. should they just press out and press back in i have excess to a 50 tone press any tips greatly recived.

mmmmmmmmm 50 ton press 8) should press in and out, cut off the lip of the ball joint so it will sit on the press to press it out, you may have to heat up the arm suck it and see. make sure you press them back in the right way round so it operates thru the correct plain

press in, cut out. if you go on you tube there is how to's on the best way to remove them. usually involves grinding off the back, knocking out the guts. the either cutting the outer ring with a hacksaw or using a welder to lay a weld in the outer ring so when you cool it it contracts and simply drops out. then tidy it all up and press a new bj in with around 5 tonnes. its a brave man who puts 50 tonnes on a very odd shaped peice of 30 year old metal. :?

Latest posts