Alistair's new daily....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aogrady

Reaction score
Hi,

Here Is my new daily, not earlybay, but VAG, so hope that counts!

2002 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.5 V6 TDI 24V 6 speed manual. I love the look of the earlier Allroads with the 2 tone pint, just looks more chunky. Wanted a manual as the autos can be trouble at high mileage, and wanted cloth not leather. Quite tricky to find a early Allroad with base spec. It has the factory option of front and rear heated seats which is quite nice.

FSH up to current, mileage at 157K, brakes, tyre, battery, all 4 air springs etc were done last year. A few bits need doing, (wheel bearing, air con not cold, sensor on rear suspension), nice drive, should be good in winter, adjustable and self leveling air suspension, 4 heights - and quick, considering its 1800+kgs - but a little thirsty.

Spent a few hours cleaning today, day off tomorrow, wash, clay bar, polish and shampoo interior......I'll post up more when it' cleaner!

Cheers!

Alistair

Hey mate, where did you find this one? I'm looking for one in a similar spec.

fleeb1 said:
Hey mate, where did you find this one? I'm looking for one in a similar spec.

It was on a advert on ebay, a small dealer had purchased it from a Audi main dealer in Exeter, who had taken it in as a part exchange on a new Audi. It wasn't a specific dealer just selling Allroads

3 previous owners with FSH, last owner local to me, big history of invoices with recent new compressor, air springs all round, battery, tyres etc. The history was the only reason I got it, it has some issues I need to address, but is a good old barge, and nicer than my 55 plate C'Max

Gave it a right good clean and polish, came up really nice. I need to do the wheel bearings, the droning noise is driving me mad! I have bought some new brake discs and pads all round, I think the sliding caliper is sticking on the rear as the disc looks grooved...using the 35% discount from GSF seemingly every weekend helps!

They can be expensive to fix, the air suspension being particularly expensive But with the likes of GSF, they would seem to be reasonable to run, aside from low mpg even on diesels, they are a heavy car, I get about 28mpg round town, 34+ on a run. So not massively better than the bus really, but fast, safe and hopefully relatively reliable aside from servicing. TBH, brakes is normally something I change on new to me cars, unless they are tip top. I don't do many miles, so can afford a little sacrifice on fuel economy.

They also do a petrol 2.7 bi-turbo, and a petrol 4.2 V8 with 300 bhp too. Auto tiptronic boxes are common, the manuals are stronger and less troublesome. Lots of options when new, solar sunroofs, leather etc. Mine is stock cloth, but both front and rear are optioned with heated seats, all adjustable, a rare option at £500+ The 2.5 V6 24V AKE engine code diesel has 180 bhp

Quite a few on ebay for around £2K, or much cheaper with "faults" You can buy VAG COM diagnostic software and cable for £80, you could find a bargain if you take your laptop and plug it in

Good luck in your search!

I was looking a few months ago for one. The V6 tdi seems the best bet, the bi-turbo engine is awesome but prone to oil leaks and at £1500 each turbo should you need to replace them it's a brave purchase. I was almost tempted by the V8 but it had so many options that it was sure to go wrong sooner or later :?

Nice car 8)

Hi!

Cheers guys! I like it too!!

Yeah Just, I had seen the turbos were expensive, I'm hoping being a diesel it should be reliable, though apparently the camshafts can wear prematurely so I have read.......

The V8 sounds awesome, but as you said, could be a money pit.......hence buying a stock V6 tdi with base spec and FSH.....

A bit of fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYcYKBE-e3w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers!

Alistair

Latest posts