Alloy wheel size

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rennie1

Reaction score
Hi I'm a 72 crossover new yo all this and would like yo know if its possible to fit a set of 17" Fuchs to my bus and if there is any mods I would have to do,I believe it's been lowered by 40mm and what tire sizes would I require thanx ;)
Mark

This thread should help: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48695&p=407941&hilit=rims#p407941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)

Thanks George but I'm sill being a bit blonde here (what are tubs) and can I fit this size if wheels or would I be better off with 15"

Imagine you're looking at the front wheel of your bus.
Above where the tyre lives there's some metal: the wheel "tub".

If you put bigger wheels/tyres on, the amount of space between the tyre and the tub gets less. The same is true if the bus gets lowered.

To stop the tyre hitting the tub when you go over a bump or whatever there are a number of things that can be done, including cutting out the original wheel tub and putting on bigger one, efffectively increasing the available space between tyre and tub for the suspension travel.

Thanks guys if I was running 17" which tyre sizes would be recommended and any idea in price would be good as I'm told its hard to get 6 or 8 ply ?

Cheers again :)

Looks like I'm a bit confused again et20 being standard size and 17" are et40 so will I need any modification ?? :) SOS

I was looking at getting 17s and I'm pretty sure it's the et40 ones you want. As they are 7" wide the et20 ones will stick out too much and thus require arch work to fit. Nearly bought a set of et20s cheap on ebay, as I didn't even realise they came in both flavours, lucky escape. Narrower wheels should be ok at et20 (5.5" or lower).

Not sure on tyres for 6 or 8 ply but there are certainly tyres that have a sufficient load rating to be legal readily available.

Hi thanks for you help with that 1 :) I was thinking on the chrome ones but major issues we all time use ! Think the polished ones are going to be

Thanks again :) :)

Here have fun with this to see what tyres are closest to the ones you currently run

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try Camskill they list all the tyre sizes easiest way to see what's available I've found, pretty cheap as well. Just Google camskill tyres.

Thing is I can't believe the topic is so dam difficult I see some folks are running 4.5 on front 5.5 on back etc etc these are 7 diameter so do I but then find they scuff the front as I turn as 205 wide seem a lot when putting in the data to a tyre calculator from 185/80/14 to 205/40/17 also I see folk puting 45 on the rear 40 on the front !! O my head confused .com :(

Thanks for all the help folks being new to the forum I appreciate all your time ;)

Rennie1 said:
Thing is I can't believe the topic is so dam difficult I see some folks are running 4.5 on front 5.5 on back etc etc these are 7 diameter so do I but then find they scuff the front as I turn as 205 wide seem a lot when putting in the data to a tyre calculator from 185/80/14 to 205/40/17 also I see folk puting 45 on the rear 40 on the front !! O my head confused .com :(

Thanks for all the help folks being new to the forum I appreciate all your time ;)

check out a few pics on my thread fella, you will find that to run and pull off 17s there a bit of work to do, also be aware of load ratings on rubber band tyres as we nearly came a cropper twice on two different vans with 17 tyres, 1 x 180dgree egged tyre and one blow out.

17s are a bit marmite though, you either love or hate em. we back on 15s as we can get down more and cheaper to boot.

jth

Latest posts