Alternator pulley

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benyon

Reaction score
11,000miles into our trip and our inner alternator pulley shattered. Luckily (I think), I noticed it while parked up so didn't run the engine until it fell apart. Being stuck in Bulgaria meant we couls get replacement parts so had it welded back together to get us going again. A week later in Romania and the welding had compromised the integrity of the metal and it started to wear around the square centre piece which in turn then made the square whole in the outer pulley round! I replacement german part arrived from JK as the repaired piece was about to give up and so we put on a whole new pulley.

Now, three days later, the new inner pulley has seperated at square spindle so the pulley is now in three pieces not two and both plates are starting to wear from square holes to round holes. While this is an issue I have with JK about the parts, what could be causing the parts to wear so quickly?
I didn't replace the woodruff key and that too looks worn so I am hoping movement around that is preventing all parts to be held together firmly and slight movement causes wear that enables larger movements, does that sound right I should I be looking elsewhere?

If t makes a difference I have a 1600tp 34ITC Webers and alternator.

I think to honest andy its just the quality of the repro ones that is so shit ..

I would guess that slight play in the pulley has caused slight movement damaging the pulley as it did ..

I would deffo look for an original if poss .. even if a repro one gets you by till then .. i would change the woodruff key too if it looks worn and look for wear on the shaft ..

Some of the other guys will be along soon for some better advice, just thought id give my advice..

Hope yer both enjoying it out there .. stay safe!

Hilly

Was it a chrome pulley???? i fitted a chrome 1 onto my new engine and 4 months later bang! :( it sounded like a grenade going off and scared the shit outta me

Not cool :(

Cheers for your help earlier Hilly. JK have some OEM pulleys coming in on Friday but I have ordered two repros, a woodruff and a spare belt from Heritage to put me by until then.

The repro was just powder coated black from JK, luckily of the two that have gone over the last few weeks, I noticed the slack alternator belt and found the failed pulleys before and load noises alerted me!

Fingers crossed this will last us a couple more months until we return!?

Hilly_70 said:
I think to honest andy its just the quality of the repro ones that is so shit ..

I would guess that slight play in the pulley has caused slight movement damaging the pulley as it did ..

I would deffo look for an original if poss .. even if a repro one gets you by till then .. i would change the woodruff key too if it looks worn and look for wear on the shaft ..

Some of the other guys will be along soon for some better advice, just thought id give my advice..

Hope yer both enjoying it out there .. stay safe!

Hilly

I got one of these from VW Heritage....

68westyCharlotteengine_mk5jpgpictur.png

It is a genuine VW one as fitted to the very late aircooled bays from Brazil. The quality is superb compared to any repro and after 17000 miles it has been 100% perfect.

^^^^ these are the way to go to be honest, i have a CB one its costly but is true as they come! 8)

speedwell68 said:

It is a genuine VW one as fitted to the very late aircooled bays from Brazil. The quality is superb compared to any repro and after 17000 miles it has been 100% perfect.
The guy on the phone said something about one with a fan on when I asked for OEM, I guess this was what he was talking about, but he did say they only had repro available and at 6.50 I'm not expecting VW parts...

If your unsure dood go with this badboy!

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/ca/mia/d/billet+aluminium+top+pulley/pid/6558032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not cheap but a quality part ;)

Benyon said:
speedwell68 said:

The guy on the phone said something about one with a fan on when I asked for OEM, I guess this was what he was talking about, but he did say they only had repro available and at 6.50 I'm not expecting VW parts...

IIRC that one was only £15 for both halves and you could buy both halves separately.

I have had a similar problem. Check out my website for more info and pics of the failed pulley. http://www.roxy270.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was supposedly a good one from JK, they agreed to replace it and sent one where the weld had not been done very well and 1/4 of the circumference was just like splatter. They replaced it again, as I wasnt happy to fit it, with a much heavier one and thats been ok for the last 2k miles.

Westy Richardson said:
Was it a chrome pulley???? i fitted a chrome 1 onto my new engine and 4 months later bang! :( it sounded like a grenade going off and scared the shit outta me

Not cool :(

grazys words of simpathy to me were 'chrome won't get you home son' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got a og VW item now, OH YEAH 8)

Latest posts