Ambulance fans?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slammed

Reaction score
So tell me folks, whats so great about ambulance fans? I see them posted for sale occasionally and they look expensive for what they seem to be. Do they have special healing powers or turn your bus into a hovercraft?
This is a semi-serious question... :msn4:

I think they vastly improve the windscreen demisting speed. Agreed they are pretty expensive though - I'm assuming its because they were only fitted to ambulance models?

Having OG heat exchangers with good connections all the way to the front made a hell of an improvement to mine though ( repro heat exchangers are poo). A plastic coke bottle left on the dash started to melt! :shock:

Liking the hovercraft theory though!! :lol:

They are nice when stuck in traffic or stationary to clear a screen, but are pretty much redundant once you are on the move. They are just a nice to have given their (relative) scarcity I guess. That said, they seem reasonable easy to source.

I'd say a good set commands good money and no they are not easy to find (not good ones); I've sold my set as I need cash to fund my projects as am spending more then I can afford to hence the toys go up as well as the other stuff.

So, guys, a challenge.

Will any of you who think they are easy to find make the effort to locate a set and note price and condition as they are supposed to be reasonably easy to source?

Will check back tomorrow and see on your progress ;)

Standard feature in most Oz CKD bus' between 73-77 till they stopped Australian production. Still easy to source over there but shipping can sting. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Fresh-Air-FANS-with-Switch-Loom-Volkswagen-Bay-Window-Ambulance-Bus-Kombi-/221262377398?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338443f1b6&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I said easy to source, I meant like this ...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&keywords=Fans&type=text&stype=all&username=&yearfrom=&yearto=&pricefrom=&priceto=&model%5B%5D=&section%5B%5D=&section%5B%5D=33&wanted=show&zip=&zipdist=0&state%5B%5D=&usaregion=&country=&sort=date&sort_order=DESC&submitButton=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take your pick :)

I actually just bought a set. My reasoning was to do away with the 12 volt clamp on fan and free up space. I wanted something that I could run while at the stop lights and in traffic. When I first installed them and turned them on I was kind of dissapointed in the amount of air they pushed out. Then on my way to work that night, I realized I had the fresh air vents closed. LOL Oooops, blonde moment. LOL I tried them again but this time with the vents open and I was really impressed on the amount of air the blow out. I will have no problem staying cool at lights now. I can direct the air anyway I want it to blow. I did plug my defrost vents with some tie dyed cloth aka hankies, lol, for now. I will unplug them when I want air to go on the screen too. For now I want all I can get coming out the port hole vent. Course, today was the first day of driving the bus with them in it and it is the coolest day of the summer. LOL

In other words, I'm happy with my purchase. :D

Got some a few years back, trawled round France and Spain last year and did 't have them fitted! Sorted them now, very happy with them clearing windscreen etc. there not quiet and I thought I'd have to respray the metal on the ducts which they came in but managed to fit them in my existing ducts carefully drilling a hole for the cable in the far side, so hidden view :mrgreen:

I'm not after a set. I was just confused why they are so expensive for seems to be just a pair of 12v fans and a switch! :lol:

Slammed said:
I'm not after a set. I was just confused why they are so expensive for seems to be just a pair of 12v fans and a switch! :lol:
ive tried to find a thread that was started on some home made ones ,it was two 12 v pc vent fans ,they were mounted on some thick pvc and fitted the same as og ones.

I don't really see the point :? I mean, if the windscreens misted, it's usually cool out, so just crank on the heat. And if you're hot, and want a blast of air, just open the window?

:msn4:

Jim

the_troupster said:
I don't really see the point :? I mean, if the windscreens misted, it's usually cool out, so just crank on the heat. And if you're hot, and want a blast of air, just open the window?

Jim

If they're misted, surely you just wipe it with the sleeve of your jumper...

Slammed said:
the_troupster said:

Jim

If they're misted, surely you just wipe it with the sleeve of your jumper...

:lol: haha, usually my beanie... But then you get water marks. So in an effort to keep the screen clean, I tend to use the heater.

Jim

I believe its for stop and go traffic on hot/humid days. Last thing you want is to roll down your window and feel stale air as your back starts to clam to the vinal. The fans move air and thats what you want...when your not moving.

I think it may help the side windows as well, but this is most all theory.

Latest posts