Andyo11's 1969 Kombi - Shortys Old Bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dashboard now painted - Satin Black

DSC02538.jpg

DSC02539.jpg

And a good friend of mine lending his detailing skills to bring some life back to the flat paint.. these photo's really don't do it justice - it's amazing! :D

DSC02536.jpg

DSC02537.jpg

The door hasn't been done, the two panels rear of the door have in this picture...

DSC02540.jpg

Onto the rollover jig ready for underside photography, clean then underseal... The underside is immaculate, unbelievably so for the buses years...

af03fada.jpg

0fd45966.jpg

66c23c09.jpg

The jig will go further, but I chickened out at this angle!!

oh, forgot to mention, the following has all gone to be sand blasted tonight, should get it back saturday:

All the engine tinware
Fuel tank firewall
Fan
alternator holder than goes onto the fan housing
Pulley (the bit that goes on the alternator)
engine mounting bar
rear valance (have i got that right? it the big bit that closes the engine in and the engine lid latches on)

Some pics of the underside:

Today I am wire brushing then undersealing...

bed9a65b.jpg

498fe67e.jpg

The little black patch in the picture is where Mark was showing me how to use the compressed air spray gun...

29f259e8.jpg

c2a47042.jpg

Rolled it back the other way this evening to do the bits I couldn't reach or missed last Friday..

All done now..

2ADAED9A-C3B2-4103-8B0E-D19BF771651F-782-0000004AB00619B9.jpg

I'm gonna replace the fuel lines while I have easy access next and finish polishing the roof...

Collected all the tinware, valance, fuel tank fire wall and engine bar from the sand blasters this evening

Also replaced the fuel line and inline filter - a lemon squeezy job with the bus on it's side with a drained fuel tank!

Had quite a productive evening yesterday..

My friend finished polishing the roof, so with the underside complete as well, we put the bus back down onto it's own 4 wheels...

Picture004.jpg

We then found some 2000 grit wet & dry... which is leading us to re-doing to polishing already done, but this time going over it with the sand paper first... the finish is awesome, markedly better than previously, the sheen is noticably deeper than before when it was polished without the sanding..

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Also, having a dilemma regarding wheels, although I think after this mock-up I have discounted the black stock wheels.. I was thinking of running them with white walls, but I think against the colour of my bus, the black is just too harsh..

Picture002.jpg

also, with the aforementioned sand paper, I set about the marks on the front panel left by a suspected wheel carrier (?)

Before:

busfrontbefore.jpg

After:

Picture005.jpg

and finally, I removed all the lights and rear badge - makes polishing easier, and have tidied my engine build area ready for the start of that... just need to find a brave pill and go for it!

Great progress being made.
I'd love be of those jigs to do my steering box!

Just a bit of a catch up...

The dashboard is now finished.... (don't get me started on bad paint reactions :roll: ) and the new dashpad are now fitted..

FDC5FC49-366B-49B3-B231-5364AD76B9A6-437-00000035AF3DB239.jpg

DF7B9F19-D50D-4FB4-9902-4F6814005346-437-00000035CD8A053C.jpg

other in-progress jobs:

Detailing the OG paint
Stripping the engine bay ready for repaint in search of the 'clean'look!

Shorty said:
I collected my engine tinware and firewall from the powder coaters last night... OMG! they're nice! pics to follow! :D

Ever thought of powder coating your dash top semi gloss black. A friend of mine has his done whenever he builds a bus and they look beauty. Just a thought to keep the bad paint reactions away. Still such a cool bus.

Latest posts