Another sad story..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

our bus 68

Reaction score
Just seen this in my local paper :cry:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/12977303.UPDATE__VW_camper_van_destroyed_by_fire_at_Studland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

real shame, but luckily everyone was safe.

Close one for someone again. I Stopped a orange late Bayer at the garage over bank holiday smelling of fuel as he was about to fill up. Quick look and showed him a perished fuel line. This e10 fuel is chewing through them I think. His line didn't look too old.

The fire supression systems are great but hopefully people are checking fuel line and electrical connections regular. Prevention is better than cure etc.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

If you haven't done so recently, check your fire extinguishers.
My smallest one (for cooking fires) has de-pressurised, so would be no good in a pinch.
I have 3 on board: Firetech in the engine bay, the aforementioned diddy one and a slightly larger one just in case.

mby1p.jpg

I read elsewhere if the fuel tank is full it will keep pouring fresh fuel onto the fire
The one in France recently at the petrol station had 5 full sized extinguishers emptied into it and it still was burnt out
2 people suggested the only way to prevent this is to fit a fuel solenoid in the fuel line up at the tank
When the ignition supply it turned off the fuel stops and you have half a chance to put the fire out

This subject almost needs a sticky of its own - to summarise everything we can do to protect our p&j from this bloody awful outcome. Genuinely sickened when I see this happen to someone as I know how much we personally invest.

Got me paranoid now! Are all the bits of fuel hose accessible without taking engine out?

Yup. Just take you time threading the hose from the tank and make sure it's all clipped up proper. Easy. And as they say prevention better than cure

I got the VW auto works extinguisher, solenoid and long life fuel hose, it was over £300 but still way short of a new van! Their extinguisher is a gas that stalls the engine rather than foam.

Checked my braided fuel hoses today, not good! Gonna be replacing them this weekend

Someone who knows the owner of that Bus said He had had the RAC out to the bus prior to that fire
with another engine Bay electrical Heat/Fire problem the same day :?

Latest posts