Anyone imported?? advise please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sackmcgannay

Reaction score
been looking into cost of shared 40' container from Los Angeles CA - UK port.. cant do roll on-off as no engine and would need to trailer back home this end anyway.
quotes are coming in around $1650 to get to UK port.. has anyone got anywhere cheeper before??

INCLUDED:
- Receiving, loading, block & brace at terminal
- US Customs clearance and export documentation
- Container drayage and U.S. port fees
- Ocean freight from U.S. port up to destination port
- Bill of Lading and courier fees

EXCLUDED:
- Optional full coverage ("all risk") insurance at @ 1.5% of the replacement value at destination, with a $500.00 deductible
- Import customs clearance and port handling charges and fees after arrival at destination port
- Import taxes and duties, if any apply

ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH IMPORT TAXES, DUTIES ARE?
ALSO VAT ON PRICE OF BUS - ANYWAY AROUND THIS? COULD I JUST SAY THE BUS COST ME £100???

The seller has to provide a Bill of Sale with the 'value' of the van on it for export that is how the tax is determined in the UK ;) .

$1650 is really a good price and the dollar is weakening against the pound so i would jump at that.

You will pay on the US side and that will get you to port in the UK you will then have handling fees on this side normally around £300 + for shunting it around etc.

I had a good experience dealing with Chris at cfrline, hes very efficient and easy to get hold of if you need to straighten anything out. He will take care of all documentation on the US side and even transportation to the port if you need it.

Have you really been quoted $1650 for the container or is that for a bus?, CFR mentioned by Johnny charge $1595 for shipping a single bus out of LA. Slightly cheaper out of Houston as its nearer but still something like $1295 from memory.

A 40' container (which you can only get 2 buses in) is normally around the $4500 shipped to the UK but you can fill the remainder of the space with spares.

Landing Fees in this country are £350 then you have VAT on the landing fees, shipping, cost of the bus and duty. For a private individual the duty is £50 flat.

You can make the purchase figure up but HMRC are not stupid and with buses passing through into the UK everyday they know they don't cost $100.

On average landing fees into the UK are approx £700, if you do a search this has been discussed loads of times before.

if i were to get a rebuilt engine and gearbox fitted in the US then ship it back - will I have to pay VAT on the cost of parts + labour?
Or do i just say thats how i bought the bus - for $1750!?

sackmcgannay said:
if i were to get a rebuilt engine and gearbox fitted in the US then ship it back - will I have to pay VAT on the cost of parts + labour?
Or do i just say thats how i bought the bus - for $1750!?
technically you could have bought the bus with an engine that's in the back not yet fitted...My bus had some spares in boxes and a spare front beam, all included in the bill of sale price ;)

the risk you have is vehicles are checked and are not secure so a $6000 engine that came with the deal ;) isn't really insured or that secure.

Oh the title may have engine number on or lack of ..I can't remember

Latest posts