anyone used this on rocker covers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pottinger

Reaction score
just wondered, got my cork gaskets but undecided what to use with them.

saw this today and thought it looked quite good, advice fellas ?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173139_langId_-1_categoryId_255217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ta
potts

I've just always used the cork gaskets on there own. Never had a problem, perhaps I have been lucky?

I just smear some grease on both sides of the rocker cover gasket - more to stop it sticking than to seal. Provided the cover and the spring clip are correct it wont leak.

New repro rocker covers can be troublesome since they often dont seat correctly. Check them by putting them on the head with no gasket to make sure they dont rock and theres no gaps.

I prefer to use re-furbed originals.

Dont use any sealer that sets - it will glue the two together and be a right pain to remove when you adjust the valve clearances.

Also avoid using too much sealer of any type, anywhere, since it will squish out on the inside and then bits may detatch and start circulating though the oil galleries. I have seen a few new builds ruined due to this. Where you do use sealer, just the lightest smear only.

sorry forgot to say only stick it to the rocker cover :oops: found in my experiance that some thing like bostic clear or evostick peals off the rocker cover ok ,works for me ,but thats me -each to there own .nowt wrong with grease either.

Trikky2 said:
Check them by putting them on the head with no gasket to make sure they dont rock and theres no gaps.

:?
tried this trikky and thought oh, mine are rocking (they are genuine vw) so was :? tried both sides and
realised without the gasket they sit too close to the one set of the rocker arms (when at the top of there cycle) therefore
not allowing the covers to sit level. put the gasket there and there perfect.

whay ya make of that then :? :roll:

potts

I'm finding that with my recent purchases of gaskets that they are of a denser cork and don't seal as well. So I've resorted to hylomar blue. That said, even with that I have one leaking at the moment - to be redone tonight...

Nick

pottinger said:
Trikky2 said:
Check them by putting them on the head with no gasket to make sure they dont rock and theres no gaps.

:?
tried this trikky and thought oh, mine are rocking (they are genuine vw) so was :? tried both sides and
realised without the gasket they sit too close to the one set of the rocker arms (when at the top of there cycle) therefore
not allowing the covers to sit level. put the gasket there and there perfect.

whay ya make of that then :? :roll:

potts

Ah yes - I see what you mean. I always check them on a spare head I have lying around - hence no rockers to get in the way..

I have noticed that on some repro ones the small dimple is too close to the edge.

71Westy said:
I'm finding that with my recent purchases of gaskets that they are of a denser cork and don't seal as well. So I've resorted to hylomar blue. That said, even with that I have one leaking at the moment - to be redone tonight...

Nick

I had exactly the same problem and came up with the same solution. I have to top the oil up now to see if they leak again.

Latest posts