Back to blue '69 Resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boozy999

Reaction score
I'm perhaps being a bit cheeky with the title of this thread as Mickey Sam's resto was to a much deeper level and quality than mine in truth. However, I couldn't help thinking the two buses were going to end up looking very similar - both RHD and going back to the original colour ways.

Just coming to the end of the work so I'm getting kind of excited.

Anyway, here it is.
Don't know if anyone knew the bus before I got it - it was resident around the Glossop area.
The rebuild was pretty extensive as the bus had patches over patches in its life - including the rear side panels - the rotten arches had been left in place with repair pieces welded straight over the top - nightmare . . .

I've replaced all the usual stuff - sills, rear wheel tubs, rear corners, front steps etc. I went for body cut front steps from Volksheaven and managed to get some NOS full rear side panels from Custom and Commercial (albeit for a LHD panel van!).
Body cut front steps is definitely the way to go in my opinion - really good quality steel, a good chance at getting decent gaps.
I had the pain that I can see is common for a fair view of you - namely, finding a rust free sliding door and also a straight rear bumper. I don't mind telling you that I had to pay an obscene amount of money for a door from SA (after looking for a year!) and a ton of cash for an immaculate bumper from California (again, after looking for about a year).

Interior wise it has Devon camper set up in orange and black - even with the original orange curtains!
The rest of the interior is two tone grey.

My nephew wants me to use it for his wedding in autumn this year and for that reason I'm on the look out for two tone grey minibus seats.

Hope you like it,
Si

IMG_1419_zpsde4530dc.jpg

IMG_1470_zps8c35ffbe.jpg

IMG_2372_zps5dd51529.jpg

IMG_2374_zps1e2573b9.jpg

IMG_2375_zps251fe0ec.jpg

IMG_2376_zps49de0c4c.jpg

IMG_2383_zpsef82979c.jpg

IMG_2387_zpsa3a35bb4.jpg

IMG_2389_zpsdb4b9d2a.jpg

Ooh nice mind!!
L50H bright blue??
My old Granda had it's twin for about 40 years!!

andyprize-1.jpg

Here it is about 10 years ago after it's first repaint.

Lush colour like!!!!!

What a belter!
Nice van too :D
He looks a very proud fella.

Yep - brilliant blue it is, L50H and Cloud white L581 on top, wheels and bumpers.
That Devon interior looks correct for the year - was it a Devon van originally?

Have to confess the one in mine had been butchered so I had to replace it.

I love the colour too, in fact it played a part in my decision to buy the van in the first place. It had been repainted numerous times, all pretty badly, and was white down to the waistline when I got it. I really like the original scheme though, blue up to the roof.

Thanks mate.

:lol: proud as punch that day he were !!
Says first thing he ever won, 81 at the time :lol:

Yep all original Devon interior!!

I dropped a bit of a bollick n painted the roof n bumper L90H cream white by accident, cos I'd not long since done my beetle that colour!!!

They're still that colour now!!!

Did you find a Devon interior to replace yours??

Yeah, though I think it's moonraker rather than caravette or eurovette, probably 70 / 71- it has quite a narrow sink unit that protrudes a long way into the door aperture. It has the swing out cooker, same as the original had.
Bought the whole thing complete some years ago - came with extractor fan, curtains and the water carriers too!
It has a low level bed option which I particularly like.

The painter had a right carry on with the blue - went for solid colour but the white in the paint separated out - it ended up with light and dark tiger strips and in other places it looked like it had been sponged!
Gave it a second shot with base and a clear coat which worked fine.

Yep it's a difficult colour to get right, I done it in 2k but I did get a little run which dragged the colour :evil:
But never mind, it gives it character???

002-21.jpg

The sag is Just by the left headlamp.

Dude, those panels are much straighter than mine, it needs a little character :D .
Besides I think you could be onto something there, the whole patina craze needs a new angle - runs, sags etc - it's a lot less effort than rubbing back to the primer and clear coating again :lol:

Sorry mate, hope you take that in good jest, took a look at your other thread on the yellow / orange bus - really like what you've done there.

Just a little patina story, while I'm distracted - some years ago just as the craze was starting, I was sharing my garage with a lad who had a split screen pick up. I had my other motor, a '54 Mk1 Zephyr with a small block Ford in the garage, hadn't got round to doing any body work on it (still haven't!), it been outside, got damp as was pretty rough looking.

Anyhoo, I turn up one day to find this kid going at the side of his truck with a buffer. I asked if he was polishing it up, and he says "no, I've just had it sign written and I'm rubbing it out to age it like, make it look distressed. . . you know patina'd."
"Right, I see." I said. This was the first I'd ever heard of any such activity . . .

So I took him round to the back of my Zephyr and said "have a look at that" pointing at the moss that had been growing quite vigorously along the window rubber for the last few years.
"Now that is what you call patina!" :lol:

Ha ha cheers, it's a favourite pic of mine too, he was actually my Mam's cousin's father in law, but we just called him Granda!!!!

If your based in Northumberland, you've probably seen it about, as it now belongs to his grandson John "Whitey's van" white.

Latest posts