Brake upgrade

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably not entirely necessary to change the rear setup to disc brakes for most, but then again looking at changing the entire setup

Unfortunately, gone past the point of no return now. and sold the Original single port '67 engine + gearbox (sacrilege, i know :confused:)

but. want to be pushing out at least 250hp coupled with decent reliability - so now aiming for something completely different - an Electric drivetrain

have a vR6 T5 (R32 engine) so used to that kind of power and ideally want the bay to be at least able to keep up with that!

Yes it out stops my bmw 330ci, I’ve had to weld baffles in the deep sump because it stops so hard the oil light comes on if I stand on them at speed 🫣😂

The hubs fit straight on the stock spindles, you use type 2 bearing but need a spacer which goes in the middle of them and yes you’ll need those brackets.

10mm spacers and my 15x5.5 gasburners fit fine 😉
-Actually, had a question on the spindles and caliper brackets - but rather than continuing to highjack someone else's thread 😳 ..thought I better start a new one!

I did a nice cheap brake set up last year and they have worked really well. I used mk3 caddy disc's and calipers they are 5×112 stud pattern and they are cheap to replace but you will have to run 15" wheels. I think it cost me £100 to buy the second hand brake set up and the late bay hubs and make the bracket to mount the caliper.

I did a nice cheap brake set up last year and they have worked really well. I used mk3 caddy disc's and calipers they are 5×112 stud pattern and they are cheap to replace but you will have to run 15" wheels. I think it cost me £100 to buy the second hand brake set up and the late bay hubs and make the bracket to mount the caliper.
that sounds interesting.. happen to have any pics?

I fitted a complete servo kit from just kampers. I think it uses Brazilian parts and replaces the original master cylinder with a servo version. Not as big a servo as some but works well. I had nothing to lose as I had to replace 90% of the whole system anyway.
this was a useful article from practical motor home

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/how-to-fit-a-brake-servo-to-a-bay-window-vw-campervan
I've just tried to fit the Just Kampers servo kit to my 69 Bay. The vacuum pump is way too big to fit under the floor. Spoke to JK and they said that the kit says 67-79 but will only fit pre 71 on LHD! Seems a bit crazy, has anyone else retro fitted the servo on a pre 71?
I could get a 12v servo from Car Builder but not sure if it would fit the master cylinder. Any advice please....

I used the VW Jim remote kit on my RHD 71. Fits under floor on passenger side, bit tight but works really well. I had belly pans fitted so had to use an aluminium tube from front to rear for the vac with flexible pipe at each end. Make sure you use the fittings supplied in the kit at the servo end when you make up the copper pupes as they are AF, the rest of the bus uses metric fittings which you can pick up in Halfords etc.

Is it impossible to source the original VW one? The one that fits on the beam? I know limebug do brackets for their aftermarket beams to install the servo could this be a view?

I've just tried to fit the Just Kampers servo kit to my 69 Bay. The vacuum pump is way too big to fit under the floor. Spoke to JK and they said that the kit says 67-79 but will only fit pre 71 on LHD! Seems a bit crazy, has anyone else retro fitted the servo on a pre 71?
I could get a 12v servo from Car Builder but not sure if it would fit the master cylinder. Any advice please....
Is it a remote servo you’re trying to fit? My kit was just an oem-style servo (Brazilian) with master cylinder attached, fitted directly to the beam. I was lucky that I had a bracket already on the beam. If not you have to weld one on (came with the kit)

Latest posts