Backing plate HELP

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ado911

Reaction score
Hi there
Was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between the backing plates on my irs set up....looks like I’ve been sold two different drum and backing plate set ups.....I’ve bought new csp rear drums....68 to 70... the type with the internal wall and higher outer lip. One side fitted great but went to fit the other side and it has a different drum and backing plate. The new drum outer lip butted right up to the lip on the backing plate....so was wondering what the difference was and where I could get the same backing plate as Is on the other side....The drum I’ve taken off has a lot lower outside wall so so when fitted the outer lip on the backing plate doesn’t touch it.
Help much appreciate.

Have you got the 68 only backing plate on the side that doesn't fit? If so you should be able to swap it to the later style.

eb51bb9ce4052c77ffe7a368122e0b37.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Hi there
I’ve got the new drums as in the diagram on the right. And is that one the later one on the right? If so looks like I’ve got a later one on one side..the side that fits and an early 68 on the Other side that doesn’t fit the new drums...So if I’m correct looks like i need the later double labyrinth/ lip type backing plate....68 to 70 from chassis number 218 109 824.
Any ideas Where’s the best place to get the best quality Plates from?
cheers for the advice.

Yup later one on the right. Can't comment on the quality of the new backing plates I'm afraid but at least the one you need is readily available [emoji2]

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

A couple of years back I had to do my backing plates on my 1970 which are the later ones in those pics and maybe at the time perhaps, but I couldn’t get any early backing plates at all and ended up fitting and altering LateBay ones as they were all I could get, I had to change the adjusters to fit my earlier ones :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,it’s never straight forward is it. :mrgreen:

Sounds like a right pain mate....I take it was the v shaped adjusters?
I’ll give coolair or Jk a call tomorrow and see what they have.
Cheers again chaps!

Latest posts