Bare metal - The next step

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosytoes

Reaction score
Hello folks
I'm at the stage now where I need some advice about the next step in preparation for painting the bus. I've put new metal in at the bottom of windscreen and was going to put an anti rust treatment on and then prime as I don't want to leave bare metal too long. What are your recommendations for a treatment and then primer? Do I have to put some type of sealer between then to stop any possible reactions?
Thanks. Jon

I use Kurust, but other treatments are available. Let that cure for about 30 minutes wipe off any residue and then etch prime. A couple of coats of hi-build primer, then a light rub back with 600 grade, and then top coat.
Don't leave it with any bare filler or in primer as they're porous.

Found this stuff to be awesome while restoring my bus,was advised by the guy who painted mine.
a few years have past and zero rust :)

http://www.bilthamber.com/deox-gel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hope thats a help
Liam

I like the Kurust approach. If the steel is clean and there is no pitting there is no reason why you just can't use a wax and grease remover and then prime. Make sure you use a good quality etch primer on bare steel.

sparkywig said:
The only issue I have with the deox-gel is that you need to wash it off with water before you can fill or paint.

you make a fair point sparky but i feel now in hindsight that was a small price to pay,can't argue with the results. but it may be 'overkill for a smallish area i guess.

sparkywig said:
I use Kurust, but other treatments are available. Let that cure for about 30 minutes wipe off any residue and then etch prime. A couple of coats of hi-build primer, then a light rub back with 600 grade, and then top coat.
Don't leave it with any bare filler or in primer as they're porous.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen!
Sparky how long should the etch primer be left before priming, (I have got U Pol #8 etch primer) and how long between coats of primer? Sorry for the stupid questions.

sparkywig said:
As soon as it's dry you can put another coat on.
That's my etch primer of choice as well.

Thanks very much I'll get cracking.

Latest posts