Battery or alternator kaput ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfgang

Reaction score
Had my battery on charge . Put it on the van fully charged. Went for a drive for about 35 mins last night with headlights on. Stalled it at some lights and then couldn't start it from what appeared to be a flat battery. Bump started it and got home. On the drive with lights on and engine running a voltmeter recorded 13.2 v .

I fitted a new alternator 12 months ago. I don't know how old the battery is. Am I right UN thinking the battery has had it. My battery charger has an error reading for a defunct battery but it is not showing anything. It will charge as normal but won't hold charge.

Am I missing something or should I buy a new battery.

Thanks

Sounds like you could have some voltage drop somewhere.

This could be poor wiring, earth or the alternator regulator/brushes (most likely IMHO).

You should be getting around the 14v mark at the battery with lights on and engine running.

I put a new alternator (with internal regulator) on mine and had to change the regulator a year later as the regulators don't seem great quality.

Also the voltage wasn't dropping quite enough for the dash warning light to come on as the circuit was giving a little charge, the voltmeter told a different story.

Also worth checking wiring to the headlight bowls etc before I replaced the loom in mine the PO had bodged in household wire in to allow higher rated headlight bulbs. :shock:

Is there a way to do simple test on the battery to see if that is the issue. After being on charge and then left for 24 hrs the voltage reads 12.8 which seems high. Is this high reading an indication that the battery has had it.

Now wondering if it might be a starter motor thing. Battery After I took it off was reading 12.7. V. That should be enough to turn it over shouldn't it.

You need to test the battery output whilst it is under load - this will tell you if it has had it's day or not. Either measure voltage while cranking, or find someone who has a portable battery load tester - these have a dial indication to show whether battery performance is good or not when connected. Do this before buying any new parts!

As already mentioned, it's worth checking the connections between starter, battery, alternator and earths are all clean and oxidation / rust free, as again, this is free and rules another thing out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moseley said:
You need to test the battery output whilst it is under load - this will tell you if it has had it's day or not. Either measure voltage while cranking.

If I set up the voltmeter and get my wife to turn it over while I check it, what sort of reading should I be looking for to show the battery is either good or has had it.

Thanks

^^ Think I might have answered my own question above. I am going to take off the rota arm. Attach the voltmeter to the battery. Crank over the engine. If the voltmeter reads veils 9.6v while cranking then the battery is toast.

That sounds like it`ll be worthwhile. Double check all your main earths. The earth from the battery to the body, and the one from the box. If you have some jump leads,you could use them to make sure the earth from the battery gets a little assistance and the one from the box also, but take them off and clean them thoroughly then add a little vaseline to the mix. Another little test is to check that nothing is randomly drawing off current when it`s all turned off and the easy one for that is to take the earth lead off the battery and run a bulb / and holder from the earth terminal of the battery to the disconnected earth lead. If it lights up then something is stealing your battery juice. But for starters (no pun intended) get your battery checked by a pro for free ;)
There`s usually a date on the battery somewhere if you give it a clean. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, not much for free nowdays :mrgreen:

Its the battery. Under load trying to turn the starter the battery volts dropped below 9.5v. Couple of turns of the key and the battery was dead. New battery ordered.

When the bus is off the road how should I keep my battery healthy. I have a charger that switches to trickle feed. Is it ok to leave it on trickle feed for several months or is there a better way to do things.

Best way to keep your battery healthy is to not let it go flat. Starting batteries do not like being flattened! So either disconnect the earth when parked up or attach a trickle charger permanently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts