Battery tray repair/window winder

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Looks like my battery tray is on the way out - anyone know if I can weld it without removing the engine ? (or suggest any other in-site repair) - its just got a hole in the bottom - MOT guy didnt notice it last year (!) but Im sure he will this time !

its a lot easier with the engine out, bear in mine if you replace it as factory spec you will burn your paintwork, can you not let a patch in?

yes I was hoping to just patch it - was even looking at bolting/screwing a little plate over the hole ??

id get a new battery tray and let in the bit you need, it will look better and last longer than a "bodge"
if you do it right first time it shouldnt need doing again. :lol:

Yes I know youre right - I just have the urge to 'bodge it' just to get through the MOT !

bodge it for the MOT and do it properly later
i just find that a bodge annoys me and you have to go back to it, its all down to time as well, if the MOT is looming then a quick plate n paint! :wink:

You can just lay a piece of tin or wood in there for MOT. I don't think it's a failure anyway. I repaired mine after the MOT.

pete nice said:
You can just lay a piece of tin or wood in there for MOT. I don't think it's a failure anyway. I repaired mine after the MOT.

BODGER! :wink:

OK, next up on the list of jobs to get the van back on the road ... the drivers side window has given up .. wound it down last year and now wont wind up again - suspect rain has got into the door and various important bits have rusted !! (it just goes round making a 'scrunchy' sound !) - is it tricky taking the door card off to get in there ?

try and get the proper tool to take the door panel off or they tend to break. otherwise id use a house hold fork! a good strong one.
put the pokey end in under the panel, put pressure on the end and it should pop the trim off.

window winders are a pain to do, be careful not to bend the new one getting it in. also use a little grease on the new one before you fit it.
good luck
:lol:

thanks for the tip on door card removal - I probably would have steamed in with a screwdriver ... where do u get the special tool from ?

just read a few posts on JK forum re window winder mechs. - doesnt look fun !

its probably just the little bracket that the window sits in, this then bolts onto the winder mechanism. They usually break off at the weld points, new one from wherever only costs a couple of quid.

Does the winder go round but the window stays put??

yes it stills goes round as sounds as if its doing something but the window doesnt re-appear from inside the door !

That will be it then. There is a bracket that the window sits in, and it has a rubbish plate on it with 2 holes that clamps onto the window winder mechanism. The ones you get now are better as they are better welded.

Got a new one for mine at vanfest, think it was £3.50. Takes about 5 mins to do.

Just be careful taking the window out of the channel as it takes a bit of persuation and the window is but a break away! :shock: :lol:

EarlyBay said:
thanks for the tip on door card removal - I probably would have steamed in with a screwdriver ... where do u get the special tool from ?
i got mine from wurth, also got a snap on one but i use to be a body and paint man, thought maybe a friend/ club member/ local bodyshop might have one you could borrow?

UPDATE

just kampers do the door panel removal tool, about £7-50
saw it in there catalouge last night

window could be something easy. the bit the glass sits in is held to the winder mech by a nut and bolt. found they had come off when mine went wrong. only took a few minutes to fix. if you have to replace the whole mechanism then you need to take everything out first including the quarterlight bar.

Latest posts