Bay window novice knowledge hungry

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtinky say

Reaction score
Hi,
iv become a really big baywindow fan over the past 2 years and im planning on buying one next year
ideally i want a LHD Tax exempt bay.

what it is im after is knowledge, the difference with early and late bays, difference between the types of pop tops and there names and the different models.

i wont be offended if you just put links up for me to read.
any info will be muchly appreciated

thanks jay

ok iv found the history section. giving that a read but anything and i mean anything you can think of thats not on there put it down id love to know more many thinks
jay

Read the site it's all on here. All the differences, it's far to much to generate a whole new thread on. Plus take a look at thelatebay .com . Read the books there's plenty out there especially Laurence Meridiths Original VW Bus

As well as checking out the vans check the 'vibe' from the owners. I had the chance to move on elsewhere when my van was pinched two years ago but stuck with an early as the people on here and at shows are great. Plus the vans are to my mind better!

cool. ill have a look on the other sites aswell.

am i right in thinking the metal dash comes in 68 and older?

jtinky say said:
cool. ill have a look on the other sites aswell.

am i right in thinking the metal dash comes in 68 and older?

Hello and welcome :D

Not 100% on this but I think all U.S.early bays came with a padded dash where the European ones where metal. I used to have a UK 1970 which had a metal dash.

As mentioned the Samba is also really good for information and I use this site quite a bit, there is a buying a VW bus section on it somewhere too: Richard Atwell - http://www.ratwell.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However here on Earlybay you will find the friendly fountain of knowledge for 68-72 buses.

Cheers, Andrew

I was a total newbie a few years ago (not much more experienced or knowledgable now...) and without sounding sycophantic, would be in a world of pain without the level-headed help and advice through this forum. There are other forums but I gave up on those a long time ago. People on here genuinely want to help and don't mind if you ask what seems a dumb question, as I have done plenty of times.

Oh, and my Swedish import 1970 Bay has a padded dash. Don't know if it's original or not though...

thanks for the info every one gave both late and early bays info pages a good read! iv discovered i definitely want an early bay! and i can now look at different bays and know if there early crossover or late bays. cant seem to find enough info on the different roof/pop top styles/names but im sure ill find out.

really looking forward to the point of been able to buy one. when the time comes i should know a hell of a lot about them :)

Top advice so far, as always.

But don't forget the shows...get to as many as you can, look at the buses there, not only the ones in the show'n'shine line ups, but those being camped in that are not 'on show' officially.

Talk to the owners, ask lots of questions, they are not shy of talking about their buses and will make you very welcome, especially if you share a beer. :D

This way you will see lots of different buses, different interiors, roofs, stances, paint, wheels, etc., etc. Every bus is different...enjoy looking before you take the plunge. :D

Oh, and take somebody with you who knows about these things when you are actually buying, as it will save you a fortune in time, money and heartache.

Kev

Iv already had a good look at Volksfilng in Scotland this year and last. and will no doubt be going next. its were i grew to love bays.
i plan to rent one for the weekend before taking the plunge.

From what iv read i think i will love owning one I get the same feeling from my mk1 caddy and would peffer to drive that than the golf even tho the golf is alot newer and nicer to drive. it just does not make me smile the same!

it will be 12month untill i can buy one, so lots of time to learn.

what's a good show to look at bays?
thanks jay

You will find bays at all VW shows, but keep an eye out on here for those with EB show and shine line ups for a good starting point.

And good luck.

BTW - my '69 UK RHD also has a metal dash.

Kev

The pop top question is easier to answer maybe here is a general overview
1. The westy roof, the early model (bays) hinge from the front pop up at the back, sleeps one in a hammock up there, later model had a bed
2, the dormobile roof, often the prettiest roof, pops up from the side of the bus has sky lights and vents and can sleep two up there in hammocks or beds
3. The Viking, similar to the pop up it hinges from one Side of the bus the similarity stops there, this is the whole length of the bus and has a section that folds down to make more space, a whopping 4/5 people up there.
4. The super Viking same as before but bigger fold down section this boast a huge 6/7 people up there, which all seem rather funny as you could probably only manage to carry three passengers.

cool thanks for all the help. iv read something about a turret top. whats this belong too as its the one i like the most(other than tintop) as i can put a roof rack at front and back :)

thank you all for info!

ill look into going to busfest would really like to get a better look at some bays and speaking to some owners.

jtinky say said:
cool thanks for all the help. iv read something about a turret top. whats this belong too as its the one i like the most(other than tintop) as i can put a roof rack at front and back :)

thank you all for info!

ill look into going to busfest would really like to get a better look at some bays and speaking to some owners.

Turret tops were more popular on the splits as they are only a small square to give some standing room they were on some bays but they don't offer extra sleeping space. Of course there is all the high tops roofs, I like them but definitely an acquired taste

jtinky say said:
Iv already had a good look at Volksfilng in Scotland this year and last. and will no doubt be going next. its were i grew to love bays.
i plan to rent one for the weekend before taking the plunge.

From what iv read i think i will love owning one I get the same feeling from my mk1 caddy and would peffer to drive that than the golf even tho the golf is alot newer and nicer to drive. it just does not make me smile the same!

it will be 12month untill i can buy one, so lots of time to learn.

what's a good show to look at bays?
thanks jay

If you are going to volksfling MkII this weekend the stop by for a chat. I have a 71 Devon tintop and my friend has a 72 Devon pop top we can give you the low down on.
Pm me for my number buddy and bring a beer :)

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer really appreciate it! gutted i couldn't take you up on it.
I was originally planning on going but was mates stag do so couldn't make part ll.
hopefully ill be able to make busfest depending on funds as the wedding is the following week.
sadly my friend is not a VW fanatic so every thing he has arranged clashes with VW show :evil:

hopefully ill get to meet some of you and have a nosey around your lovely bus's before i take the plunge. thanks again jay

As has been said before, this is a great site with tons of freindly people. Couple of books i've found a great source of info:

Vw Transporter and Microbus 1967-79, Vincent Molenaar and Alexander Prinz( So many interesting facts etc there). Also for VW Camper the Inside Story by David Eccles is great.

Best of luck finding your Early Bay :D