Narrowed ball joint beam - which one?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joaonar

Reaction score
Hello to you all.
First of all, let me start for apologize my grammar mistakes, since English isn't my native language :msn4: . I promise you, I will make all my best to reduce them to minimum acceptable (if there's such a thing ;) ).
It's now time for me to change my original beam for another one. I'm planning in using a pair of dropped spindles from VWHeritage that I've already bought a couple of years ago, with a pair of disc brakes and refurbished late bay callipers. These late bay callipers were from another bus and a great part of the fun and joy was to bring them out from a very nasty to almost new condition and learning how they work, in the process:

IMG_6104.jpg

IMG_6109.jpg

and after,

IMG_6490.jpg

IMG_6491.jpg

What I have now is this:

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

....and I even made a pair of disc dust covers:

DSC_0536.jpg

So, since I have these and both dropped spindles increase the offset about 1 cm's each side, I was planning in buying a narrowed beam.

But.... which one?

I've been searching the forum for topics on this subject and found some infos scattered around. For example, in this one http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=74958 user named K@rlos posted this and I quote: "Why a Weedeater? There are many beams available today that are far superior.". I guess the "weedeater" in question is the name that Creative Engineering uses for their beams, right? And, there are also the beams from T2D and Transporterhaus, etc.
So, what are the big differences between them if any? The first one (at least for me) is that judging by the pictures, it seams that the top screw hole for the damper is way more backwards on the T2D and Transportehaus ones that on the CE "Weedeater" but this may be due only to my lack of knowledge :oops: .
Sorry for bothering with this long first post and all the pictures above.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Cheers!
8)

I've been searching for topics about this subject. Found this one: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69270&p=561760&hilit=weedeater+2#p561760

The weed eater is an old design of beam which first came about several years ago when lowering buses became popular. They are pointlessly big and heavy as well as very expensive. Also creative engineering’s customer service is on equal level with a street muggers.

I personally rate the transporthaus beams above any others on th market, they are beautifully made and well priced.

Hi K@rlos. Thank you for your post. A few years ago, I went to London for a few days carrying a pair of latebay stock spindles and once there, I sent them to Alex from Transporthaus since I was planning in buying a pair of dropped spindles from him. I ended up by getting a pair from vwheritage ones. I guess it's time to search for the e-mails we exchange about that unfinished deal and try to get a discount on a narrowed beam 😀.

Latest posts