Best location for fuel filter?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davla

Reaction score
Mine is between the mechanical fuel pump and the carb, above the distributor, I've seen from another post it's not a good location :shock: Can someone point me in the direction of exactly the best location pls? Thanks

Yep, you want it before the pump so that it stops any particulates from getting to that point. Most would recommend siting it outside of the engine bay in case it melted for one reason or another. Somewhere over the top of the gearbox is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK so how do I access above the gearbox? Is it a faff or is there a secret to it? Thx

OK, having the filter under the tank over the gearbox may be "safer", but honestly, when and how often do you check it there? Especially on a lowered bus.
And as for the melting argument, gearboxes can get really hot too.
I've never had issues with filters in the engine bay, and they're easier to check there. But I do run fuel cut off solenoids as well.

I always put them In the engine bay , never had a problem in 30 years , nothing unsafe and if your engines hot enough to melt the filter it’s already on fire

So to throw some more arguments out there, it is less joints in the engine bay to potentially leak, if there was a fire, I’d have thought the plastic filter would melt much faster than the rubber hose, and if you really need to inspect your filter between services, you’ve got more to worry about with a fuel tank full of crap!

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I make that so far:

Team Engine Bay 4 - 2 Team Get it Out

:party0021:

:poke:

:popcorn:

I agree with all of the 4:2 results above. I don`t have one but must get around to fitting one. I doubt that I`ll use a plastic one as they `seem` too flimsy, so if I`m spending good money on something then I`ll have it on display where I can keep an eye on it. I think there`s a lot more issues around the fuel pipes themselves than the joints and the filter. So I guess really, it`s good pipes, proper clips, decent filter, and keep a weather eye out on condition including vents. I had an idea to use when fitting my next lot of fuel pipes. Work out how long my individual lengths are and in a couple of them just to add two or three inches of extra length into the pipes to relax some of the bends. Once a year or whenever, to cut a half inch to an inch of pipe out from the oversized pieces and give them a thorough post mortem to look right inside.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,piece of mind if nuffink else :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

Latest posts