Birthday Surprise Update - '67 Bug!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin & Muttley

Reaction score
Dear All,

Well, what can I say - after a very hectic 6 weeks of hard work, secrecy, plotting and sleepless nights it's all over - it was Joy's (my wife) birthday yesterday and I thought you might like an update... (It is VW related so apologies to anyone that doesn't think it belongs here :oops: )...

It started in late January when I saw this:
Laptop023.jpg

It's a '67 bug that had been laid up for a couple of years, but I saw the potential and hatched a plan...

I had 6 weeks before Joy's birthday, 21st March, to get it roadworthy, legal and running well - and I had to raise the money and keep it all secret too!

First thing I did was take it for an MOT - it failed of course! Jobs to do:
Replace front beam (the old one was rotten).
Lots of welding around O/S seatbelt anchorage.
Lots of welding around rear O/S suspension mounting prescribed area.
Brake lights not working.
Horn not working.
N/S headlight not working.
O/S side light not working.
Replace front shocks.
Replace points, dizzy cap, rotor arm, HT leads, plugs etc.
Service engine including carb overhaul and reconnection of auto choke.
Respray bonnet.
Source and fit interior carpet sections.
Remove Hammerite used by previous owner to 'protect' paintwork, chrome bumpers and headlamp rings.
Polish car.
Service brakes.
There were other things but you get the idea...

My wife knew I was up to something, but when she let slip that she thought I was making some furniture for her I didn't exactly go out of my way to set her straight :evil: :lol:

Got the bug to my parents' house (enclosed drive and base of operations) and started with a polish to raise morale:
DSC00095.jpg

Sourced a replacement beam on VZi (thanks andy_k!) and began, with lots of help from my brother in law, to replace it, then bagan the welding etc...

Got everything slowly ticked off the list and got the MOT two weeks ago (thanks to Ray Chandler at Station Garage, Fareham) and began the 'tarting up' element culminating in a quick blow-over of the bonnet last wednesday - we were set!

For the big day my sister drove to car to Joy's daughters' house and my Mum & Dad wrapped it:
002.jpg

We arrived and I led Joy down the road (blindfolded!):
003.jpg

Then, off came the blindfold and... voila!!
VW001.jpg

Joy's reaction was a real picture - she didn't have a clue!! She was absolutely made up and couldn't wait to get in and take it for a spin:
VW006.jpg

Have I won the 'Best Husband in the World Award'? According to Joy, YES!!
VW008-1.jpg

I'd like to thank all the people that helped with the project (sorry if I've missed anyone :oops: ), including:
My Mum & Dad, Sister & Brother in law (plus their girls who helped with the cleaning), my step-daughter and son in law, Big Tim & Little Tim at Tim's VW in Portchester, Terry (Harlequin on EarlyBay.com) for the carb screws, andy_k (on VZi) for the free beam, Jon for the chrome window clip, Ray at the MOT garage, Gadget Boy (Deano) and others for their sound advice and everyone else - I couldn't have done it without you all.

Joy loves the bug, it was definately worth all the effort - look at how happy she is:
VW005.jpg

amazing, your wife looks 'made up' and the bug came up a treat with a polish. 8)

67's rock, you have all the looks, sloping headlights, long bonnet but 12v electrics. nice

Nice one, Joy looks like she loves it, well done on keeping it a secret, if she was expecting a DIY table she must have been made up when she clapped eyes on the bug :D

amazing dude, so nice to see people happy like that. great surprise. ya want to marry me???? :wink: my girlfriend never needs to know :lol: :lol: well done

see what you have started justin i wont get away with a box of milktray now DAMN all the nice guys <ONLY>

Wow that is the best story in the world and my girlfriend just melted away, you did a great thing there :)

Nice one 8) I put this on the drive for the missus on Valentines day! a couple of years ago.

took these pics at the weekend, for the insurance

Picture030.jpg

Picture021.jpg

and one from last year showing it's age :lol:

P9240004.jpg

Thanks for all the great feedback - it's made us both very happy! I enjoyed every minute of it (apart from the arc-eye and wrapped knuckles!) and it couldn't have worked out better!

Thanks all

;)

what a complete sweetheart you are!

Joy is a very lucky lady, in more ways than one :lol: :lol:

Well done you Juss, who said romance was dead..... :wink:

Carole :wink:

Latest posts