brake warning light on dash is lit,what to check.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwvanman0

Reaction score
Ive had my lhd crossover for 10+ years now and the brake warning light on the dash has never worked.

I had reason to take the dash binnacle out and thought i would have a play with the warning light at the same time,believe its mot-able now,i discovered 2 wires were off the switch.

reconnected them as per the manual and it now lights up. :D all good. BUT....

When i start the van the warning light stays on.. Disaster!

As its a crossover it doesnt have the dashlight you push in,
it has 2 switches on the servo'd master cylinder (all with wires attached,and clean terminals)

Looking at the bentley manual all i can see that is not standard is the blue wire from the switch went to the regulator in the engine bay,ive got an alternator fitted now and the blue wire is now fixed to a spade coming off the alternator,this works the generator light as well (which lights up fine)

The brakes work well,discs front and drums on the rear (which i renewed with all new parts late last year) checked and leak free.

so firstly what makes the light work,apart from a leak,which i cant find anywhere,
servo pressure?
low brake fluid level? (level is on max bottle is behind drivers seat)

Thanks for reading and any help or advice is welcome. i have all the manuals but they dont seem to offer any help.

Had mine light up last year, it was down to brake lights staying on after I'd fitted some after market LED bulbs. Changed back to old bulbs light went off.

You don't have a dodgy connection somewhere in the brake lights?

Latest posts