• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Bumpers for a 72

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They should be round headed coach bolts with a square shank, the holes in the bumper should be square to match.
Actually I was incorrect, the rear bumpers and brackets changed from chassis no. 212 2000 001 which is start of 1972MY. So they are 1 year only.

I have an extra pair of the “sand collectors” for a ‘72. Although many people don’t use them, they add stability to the rear bumper and also give you a spot to store sandwiches.

I have an extra pair of the “sand collectors” for a ‘72. Although many people don’t use them, they add stability to the rear bumper and also give you a spot to store sandwiches.
are those the corner 'sections' (not very well explained!)? I have a pair of those, but thanks for the offer 👍

And in some places ‘Leaf Guards’ but I don’t know why. But reckon if you had em on this time of year they’d catch plenty of em.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,someone used todo stainless straps?? , , You Dav??? :)

My two penneth...
Some folks call 'em leaf trays as they tend to gather leaves in autumn. I cant use them as one rear corner was replaced and doesn't have the hole and raised bit.
Early front bumpers are all the same from what i've seen. Barring holes for overriders, fogs, number plates, deluxe trim or imaginative mods.
'72 rear irons and bumpers are one year only. There are no internal mounting plates, but square mounting holes and the coach bolt heads show on the outside like on the front.
I've had my '72 for a long time and it came with no bumpers.
Got an old front centre and holey steps welded up, painted and rejuvenated with new rubber treads no problem.
I got kindly donated, a bent in the middle where someone had towed it, late 50's splitty bumper, (diamond ends). Beat it with heavy hammers and blow torched it for a day, smoothed with filler and painted.
These are made of heavy duty spring steel and really don't want to be reshaped once bent.
I Made irons to fit from thick steel channel, cut bent and welded. Bolted to it's original internal plates using my "made" irons
This got me by for years but always looked a bit too curved and got twisted where some kind person used it as a bump stop when parking.
I bought a new bumper in lockdown, it was the cheap option, not year specific and with slash cut ends for around £150. They are about half the weight and thickness of the old one, tack welded mounting plates and an odd cutout shape underneath (maybe for a brazilian exhaust). I don't believe this would fare well in an accident or even a parking bump. I would not recommend this option and regret not returning it at the time.
Cash was tight at the time but i wish i had waited. Lockdown furlough meant i had time but no extra money.
Bumper iron mounting holes slotted to suit the new bumper. It fits but not close enough to the body at the back and i can't be bothered with more welding.
Gonna source some correct irons, restore them and get a decent old '72 or the £350+ heavy OG spec bumper from C&C like i should have to begin with.
The wrong parts can be made to work if you really have the time and tools etc. but it rarely outweighs the extra cost of the correct ones, and the fact they will look better, perform well and last longer.

My two penneth...
Some folks call 'em leaf trays as they tend to gather leaves in autumn. I cant use them as one rear corner was replaced and doesn't have the hole and raised bit.
Early front bumpers are all the same from what i've seen. Barring holes for overriders, fogs, number plates, deluxe trim or imaginative mods.
'72 rear irons and bumpers are one year only. There are no internal mounting plates, but square mounting holes and the coach bolt heads show on the outside like on the front.
I've had my '72 for a long time and it came with no bumpers.
Got an old front centre and holey steps welded up, painted and rejuvenated with new rubber treads no problem.
I got kindly donated, a bent in the middle where someone had towed it, late 50's splitty bumper, (diamond ends). Beat it with heavy hammers and blow torched it for a day, smoothed with filler and painted.
These are made of heavy duty spring steel and really don't want to be reshaped once bent.
I Made irons to fit from thick steel channel, cut bent and welded. Bolted to it's original internal plates using my "made" irons
This got me by for years but always looked a bit too curved and got twisted where some kind person used it as a bump stop when parking.
I bought a new bumper in lockdown, it was the cheap option, not year specific and with slash cut ends for around £150. They are about half the weight and thickness of the old one, tack welded mounting plates and an odd cutout shape underneath (maybe for a brazilian exhaust). I don't believe this would fare well in an accident or even a parking bump. I would not recommend this option and regret not returning it at the time.
Cash was tight at the time but i wish i had waited. Lockdown furlough meant i had time but no extra money.
Bumper iron mounting holes slotted to suit the new bumper. It fits but not close enough to the body at the back and i can't be bothered with more welding.
Gonna source some correct irons, restore them and get a decent old '72 or the £350+ heavy OG spec bumper from C&C like i should have to begin with.
The wrong parts can be made to work if you really have the time and tools etc. but it rarely outweighs the extra cost of the correct ones, and the fact they will look better, perform well and last longer.
You’ve made me question if there is a reason for the Split rear bumper on mine.

I know a lot of the lower 6 inches have been replaced all the way round so I wonder if the correct mounting holes aren’t in place any more?
Nothing would surprise me!

Does the rear number mount with brackets to the chassis? Or through the bodywork?

Possibly that rear bumper you have was all that was available brand new at the time. I bought one about a dozen or so years back as at the time there wasn’t anything else..

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, times change :)

You’ve made me question if there is a reason for the Split rear bumper on mine.

I know a lot of the lower 6 inches have been replaced all the way round so I wonder if the correct mounting holes aren’t in place any more?
Nothing would surprise me!

Does the rear number mount with brackets to the chassis? Or through the bodywork?
I'm pretty sure the chassis mounting holes are the same, The '72 only bumper irons are longer as they bolt through the bumper and not to a plate inside. They will be a different angled bend for height and to clear the valance too.
Agree with Ozziedog, if the bumper or iron got damaged and there was nothing availabe at the time, what you have may have been the best, cheapest or only option without refurbing old parts. These vans predate forums or the internet, options were much more limited back in the day.
The bumper on mine is totally wrong, but it's only obvious if you know what it should be. It might stop the bus getting damaged by parking fools for now though.
I'll sort it out one day, but chassis and sill welding take priority for now.

Latest posts