Buying a bus? Make sure it is taxed before you drive it

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevH

Reaction score
Just read this in my local free rag.

According to Heritage Insurance, as soon as you buy your new bus, any existing tax is void and refunded (in whole months) to the seller. The virtual tax disk immediately ceases to provide cover.

In order to drive the bus home, it needs to be taxed, and for that to happen the buyer needs to call the DVLA or go online and record the purchase using the V5 details and 12 digit code, and then buy the tax, again online.

And all this BEFORE driving the bus home. :!:

It was a lot easier when we had that pesky bit of paper. :D

And the DVLA reckon they won't make money off this :shock: ye right. I know many people on the old system cash their tax in but many do not especially if they only had a month or so left. This would allow you to get home and drive for a couple of weeks. Not any more

I understand your point however
If you are Tax exempt (which We all should be on here) and you dont have to display a Tax disc anymore How can you done for not being Taxed for what we didnt have to pay for in the first place?
or am I missing something :?

monkeyvanwestybike said:
If you are Tax exempt (which We all should be on here) and you dont have to display a Tax disc anymore How can you done for not being Taxed for what we didnt have to pay for in the first place?

Our vans aren't really tax exempt, it's just that the tax amount is 'nil' for 'historic' class of vehicles. That's why a tax disk had to be displayed even though it cost nothing.

I think the new rules are more about informing the DVLA about the change of ownership than the tax. There's a 24 hour phone number you can ring (or go online) to inform DVLA about the fact that you have just bought a new vehicle, before you drive it home. The tax still won't cost anything for a historic vehicle though.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

monkeyvanwestybike said:

Under the new rules, the car is no longer taxed, but you are. So you must have a 'vehicle tax' before you drive it home. Whether it's free or not, you need to be registered as the new owner before you can drive it. There was also something about taking your potential new vehicle for a test drive, but I'd need to find out if there was an answer to that. Change is never for the better is it?

This has been well publicised over the last couple of months with the main aim to stop people buying cars and never registering them and then clocking up speeding & parking offences etc. As previously mentioned its all about who OWNS the vehicle.

Whilst its always been the case its the sellers responsibility to notify they have sold the vehicle on and who they have sold it to otherwise they become liable for any offences etc comitted.

Personally I think the changes are a good thing as it was always a bit flaky in the past when you sold a car on,

KevH said:
Just goes to show how damned confusing a simplification can be. :lol:

According to DVLA https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-exempt-from-vehicle-tax "you still need to apply for vehicle tax even if you don’t need to pay vehicle tax." This was updated only this week.

Presumably this is so that the rate can be increased if needs be.

Sorry Im struggling here with the point you are trying to make as thats always been the case with Historic tax, just because you dont need to display it doesnt mean you dont need to apply for it??

when i bought our bus, i was so excited to have found her that on driving her back from derby to hinckley down the M1 entirely forgot about tax or insurance, only thought about it 2 thirds of the way home :shock: spent the next half hour bricking it in case i got stopped...

Latest posts