Camping with a Toddler....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skin69

Reaction score
Earlybay Campers

Have you ever camped with a toddler (1yr old) & if so, any UK campsites you'd recommend & any must haves or must takes?

All info greatly received.

Cheers Nige..

We've camped when ours was 3 months old at Easter. It was pretty cold at night so some form of heating was needed, but we had a great time.
Just take everything you usually need. Electric hook up helps but isn't essential if you have the right kit.
Most good camp sites have family shower rooms. The one we stayed in had a baby bath in it.

http://the-willows-abersoch.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My daughter brought our grandson camping with us last summer aged 10 months, just toddling. We went to a small and quiet campsite near Machynlleth...

Dovey Valley Camping
Cwm Ceirig, Llanwrin
Cemmaes Road
Powys
SY20 8QJ
Powys
Telephone : 01650 511501

Nice place, really quiet and extremely fair prices!

Hey Nige

If you want my "must take", it's to jump on the ferry or train and get the hell out of here. This weather is shite. :x Can't beleive it's the middle of March and it's still snowing.

aspro said:
Hey Nige

If you want my "must take", it's to jump on the ferry or train and get the hell out of here. This weather is shite. :x Can't beleive it's the middle of March and it's still snowing.

It's snowed on my birthday a few times, and that's the end of April.

Depends on where and when you are going, don't underestimate how cold it can get in some UK locations even during the summer, we went to the Lakes in June when our boy was 7 months old and it was definitely a bit chilly.

The most important thing is keeping them warm as at that age they still don't generate much of their own heat and once cold its more difficult to increase their temp. wouldn't worry about the facilities too much unless its warm enough they can probably miss having a bath or shower for a few days. When we have been away and its been warm enough we put our little boy now 3 in one of those plastic trug things to give him a bath outside and he loved it. we were sleeping in a tent rather than the bus and used a travel cot (which I must sell on!) some of those child sleeping bag things that secure over the shoulders and a fleecy suit. I wouldnt bother with a proper miniature sleeping bag until you are sure they wont roll/slide out. When colder than we would have expected me and the wife took turns in sleeping in the side of the tent where he was sleeping so to keep the temperature up.

we also have half a dozen of those camping rugs with waterproof side and the other that looks like your dads tartan blanket invaluable in the tent and as something to play on. We bought our boy one of those mats from B&Q with the printed road on it the small one is from memory around the £8 mark and fits in the back of our bus flat.

If its sunny and boiling hot you have the other problem keeping them cool and in the shade.

Hope that helps.

We're thinking of going June time, so fingers crossed for good weather.
We have the sleeping bag things that strap over the shoulder so that's another plus.
I hadn't thought about bathtime so it's not a bad shout to get some kind of bath/tub & I'm liking the road type mat for me, I mean her.....

Thanks for the ideas.

Any campsites?

Cheers

Nige..

we used a washing up bowl for both of our kids at roughly the same age 6 - 12 months (4yrs between the two) but i must say the second time round the toddler was wedge in the bowl :lol: sort of a mini buddha but cannot recollect the eldest having that problem.

Hi. Just wondering, what sleeping solutions did people have for their toddlers? other than the tent/awning option? We are planning to go away in my bus with our one year old. The bus has the hammock option over the front seats but Im not convinced it will be safe? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Frank (the tank) said:
Hi. Just wondering, what sleeping solutions did people have for their toddlers? other than the tent/awning option? We are planning to go away in my bus with our one year old. The bus has the hammock option over the front seats but Im not convinced it will be safe? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

we were equally concerned with our little boy sleeping on the hammock ... we never did it but hopefully this year :D well he is three now :lol:

I'm not convinced about putting my 18 month old on the hammock but thinking about putting a travel cot on the floor.

I'm quite luck in the fact that our bed is nearly full width & may end up with her on the edge of our bed....

We found our daughter slept better on the hammock than anywhere else in the bus we started her on it at 18months and she fidgets alot but no problems at all...

skin69 said:
I'm not convinced about putting my 18 month old on the hammock but thinking about putting a travel cot on the floor.

I'm quite luck in the fact that our bed is nearly full width & may end up with her on the edge of our bed....

Yeah....my daughter is just 1 and quite small so I was thinking travel cot if I can find one that will fit!! our bed is 3/4 width and my fella ISN'T small so thats a definite no no!!! :lol:

Frank (the tank) said:
Yeah....my daughter is just 1 and quite small so I was thinking travel cot if I can find one that will fit!! our bed is 3/4 width and my fella ISN'T small so thats a definite no no!!! :lol:

The first time we all slept in the bus my wife and the little boy slept on the 3/4 rock n roll bed and I slept on the floor (on a camping mat) with my legs between the front seat ... it was OK just :roll:

Latest posts