camping with kids!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxlFoley

Reaction score
having just bought our westy we are keen to get camping, next week with any luck!

the wife is worried about the litle one falling out of bed, the idea at the moment is to put her down, then sit in the awning (when we get one) but will she rool out and fall on the floor lol, just wondering if any one else has this dilema and if so how do you remidee it? btw the baby is 9 months old!!

thanks

Mark

got a hammock thing that goes over the front seats, but he likes standing up in his cot, so not sure about that one.

maybe let him sleep in his pushchair, then sleep with us

its a tricky one, but hes coming to vanfest, so we need to get ourselves sorted

run a cargo net across the cab above the bulkheads if your worried or get some mossie netting and make a flexi wall press studed in place much like the westy nets for the tailgate....
to be honest the chances of a little one rolling out of one of those hammocks is extremely slim and standing up on one aint likely to be easy either....

yeah ours likes standing up in the cot too, the only think that worries me about the cab hammock, is the gap between the hammock and the screen, i wouldent want her to fall down there.

keep me informed with what you come up with, the wife is getting stressed about it lol

sleeping in the push chair sounds feesable though.

thanks

Mark

Went to France a few months ago... My daughter, 2 1/2 years old, slept in the hammock (Dormobile) well for the first 3 nights and then on the forth in the middle of the night we heard a thud and she had fallen out and fell, what 4 / 5 foot, straight onto the floor of the camper. Hasn't been back since and my missus wasn't best pleased and luckily there were no injuries whatsoever... other than my ears! the rest of the holiday my daughter slept with with me in the full width R&R. Off to Italy, via France and Switzerland for a few nights, on Saturday 26th... I have a cot mattress which fits like a glove on the camper floor where my daughter will sleep... I have son number one in the hammock and son number two (18 months old) over the drivers seat in a child's bunk. There are some options available to secure children in the hammock but essentially probably not worth the chance of possible injury in the night... unhooking the awning... getting the air cooled engine turning over to wake the camp site up... at 3.00am in the morning... Cheers, Kevan

slammedresto said:
one solution if if would fit, would be a travel cot, may fit if you take the sink unit out (if you got one)

that was a thought i had, going to check it out, an idea i have at the moment is to get my dad (carpentyr) to make a smaller travel cot that does fit :)

watch this space.

Mark

brenchk said:
Went to France a few months ago... My daughter, 2 1/2 years old, slept in the hammock (Dormobile) well for the first 3 nights and then on the forth in the middle of the night we heard a thud and she had fallen out and fell, what 4 / 5 foot, straight onto the floor of the camper. Hasn't been back since and my missus wasn't best pleased and luckily there were no injuries whatsoever... other than my ears! the rest of the holiday my daughter slept with with me in the full width R&R. Off to Italy, via France and Switzerland for a few nights, on Saturday 26th... I have a cot mattress which fits like a glove on the camper floor where my daughter will sleep... I have son number one in the hammock and son number two (18 months old) over the drivers seat in a child's bunk. There are some options available to secure children in the hammock but essentially probably not worth the chance of possible injury in the night... unhooking the awning... getting the air cooled engine turning over to wake the camp site up... at 3.00am in the morning... Cheers, Kevan

:shock:

you were very lucky, when i was a kid my cousin fell out of the bunk below me and snapped his wrist in a 2 foot fall.

i have found a solution!

Basicaly my van came without a sink unit, so i hvae removed the single seat, this has allowed meenough room to fit a travel cot!

photos to follow.

good solution, but my sink units all plumbed in, and theres gonna be my sub in the buddy seat, so looks like he will be sleeping with us :mrgreen:

bugger, well i'll be thinking of you when i have my nice un interupted sleep ;)

I'll be putting it in to test next weekend, wish me luck!!

Mark

fits like a glove lol

P1011299.jpg

P1011300.jpg

P1011301.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

Me and my son (1 year old).

IMG_2004.jpg

My daughter (3 years old )sleeps above in the Dormo tent/thing.

IMG_2080.jpg

The kids sleeping during our holiday in Denmark this year.

Expect you have all had your holidays now but just for possibly useful info. Ours slept on the back platform of our Danbury and we used the bunks to store coats, rugs, sleeping bags, and fishing rods. Dog slept on back platform with them. You can get 3 kids under six years on the back, dog keeps them warm. They don't fight much, too tired from being out in the air all day. Leaves plenty of room for parents to sit and read, listen to radio, cook etc in safety, and not bang our heads on bunks.

Earlier the youngest baby would be in an old fashioned carrycot wedged on the front seat by the steering wheel. Bottle making gear on the sink top. 1 flask boiling water, 1 flask pre-boiled cold water, milk powder in bottle ready. If memory serves - and I am 64 now - it was four fld.ozs cold and two fld. ozs hot, made a perfect luke warm bottle temp. A good shake and all done by torchlight, and no disposable nappies then.

Another flask held boiling water ready for morning tea. Only downside with Danbury layout is you have to dismantle a bit of your bed to get at the cooker. So morning tea was from the flask. T-bags and sugar in the mugs on the sink all ready.......
Happy days, the kids are 29,26,and 25 now, and we've got another Danbury, just for us. The older two are 39 and 40, they did sleep in the bunks for overnight stops while travelling but usually went out into the awning, or their own tent when we were set up on site, unless the weather was very bad.
The most we had sleeping in the van was four full sized adults, (us and oldest son and his girlfriend,) plus our three youngest aged 8,9, and 12, plus boxer dog, when we went to Swinderby for second son's RAF passing out parade - that was a bit of a squeeze.
EB

Latest posts