Carrying a paddle board

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splitmike

Reaction score
Hi guys please could I ask advice for roof bar options to carry my paddle board I've now bought a 72 Westy with the pop top and I'm struggling to find any roof bars at all.

Mike

I never found any roof rack that would fit without making holes in the roof which I was reluctant to do so in the end I used 2 large ratchet straps which hooked on each side of the pop top and covered the middle bit with those surfboard bar protector tube things (my mind's gone blank on what they're called!). Then using 2 smaller straps attached our boards to them. I hope that makes sense! I'll try and find some pics if I can.

You can get Thule roof bars with super high feet so they extend from the gutter above the pop top -

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack/accessories/thule-super-high-gutter-foot-pack-953-_-1089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May only be available in the US? but I'm sure a Thule supplier over here could source you some. Apparently used on some landrovers so maybe look for used landrover roof bars?

Does require you to remove the rear bar to pop the top, though.

P1010362.jpg

Here is my more hacked setup as mentioned above. I chose this route because I wanted to be able to pop the top but I'd highly recommend the Thule bars if you don't need that - I had them on my previous tin top and they were rock solid.

18424661049_e48089fc88_k.jpg

Cheers guys the Thule ones would be the ones ID need due to the board being 11' long.
I'll have to chase those feet now

I'm a very happy man.

Mike

ahh right on. mine is in the bag always for travelling i was just eary of the amount of lift under the board scared of damaging the roof

i found a great set of thule ones and some from a landrover too that might just be the ticket.
great advise cheers guys.

mike

I use a Rhino surf soft rack, very similar to irishpete, with hooks to the edge of the poptop. had 3 surfboards and a wakeboard on there this weekend with no issues. I wouldn't see an issue with an 11 paddleboard, just be a case of positioning the straps as far forward and back as you can. I don't want to unload the boards when staying overnight so this was the best option i could find. Most paddle boards have rocker to the nose like a surfboard, so lay it upside down and this will push the board down onto the poptop at speed, avoiding any lift.

Well after all the help and pictures I managed to make my own rack up. This is the result!!

Seemed to work well as a temporary use until I can get rigid bars. I used the largest diameter pipe insulation that fitted amazing well in the roof grooves.

Mike

8) Liking the options. (I'm opting for an inflatable board for now as only a hobby paddler)

Out of interest, how do the hard boards compare in use?

The hard boards seem to flow better across the water. They are better if you are going to surf it too. Although I'd also like an inflatable one for travelling and ease of storage. This years Red paddle boards are even stiffer than before and are not far off the solid boards now. I'm only a hobby paddler myself I just love the places you can do it and how relaxing it is.

Latest posts