Clear (low) front indicators

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvw

Reaction score
Hi,

Something which has been bugging me for some is this...

I vaguely recall seeing an indicator at Slough which looked as though the orange piece was seperated from the main housing...

Therefore... Is there a coloured insert that fits inside the indicator housing? If so, can it be removed so you can run clear front indicators (with orange bulbs)?

If not, how difficult is it to source genuine clear indicators? If they are pricey, who makes the most faithful repro's?

Thank you,

Mike

Don't know if the same as early bay indicators as never taken mine off, however on my split i took the inside yellow peice off the fish eye indicators and ran with yellow bulbs.

Don't think bays are any different as the yellow section just acts as a filter.

Bought clear lens & seals from Dave
http://www.splitvan-ovalbug.com/index.htm
They have not faded or discoloured like the clear rear lens
I bought from another supplier

Yes, you can pop the orange insert out of the original lens. It's best to use a thin, electrical type, flat bladed screwdriver to lever it out from either end (there is a small recess you can locate the screwdriver in). Do it slowly and carefully and you'll get the whole orange section out in one piece.

Dan

^^^^

Its super easy to do. I have converted mine now to be clear with orange bulbs, looks much better :wink: 8)

With inserts in;
DSCF0335.jpg

5 mins and a screwdriver later;
DSCF0354.jpg

:)

I invested my hard earned money in some clear one's and when I went to fit them the orange bit fell out of the old one's :oops:
Could have saved a few squid. :cry:

jabbo said:
With inserts in;
DSCF0335.jpg

5 mins and a screwdriver later;
DSCF0354.jpg

:)[/quote
god you did well in 5 minutes even fitted the front bumper well done :lol: :lol:

if you give the bulbs a light dusting of silver paint they blend in real nice but still flash amber, you can buy them like that but there around £6 a pair
top tip for you there! :wink:

I've just done mine too 8)

The o/s one needed a little more persuasion than the n/s, but both done and look a million times better - plus they are genuine Hella lenses :D

Will look even better fitted - if the bus ever comes back from the bodyshop that is!

Next job... clean up the pair of Westy louvre windows - maybe next weekend tho eh - don't want to overdo it :lol:

Cheers,

Mike

If everyone is taking the orange filters out im after a nice set as one of mine is broken and the other is faded a different colour. Anyone selling a nice set?

clyde said:
If everyone is taking the orange filters out im after a nice set as one of mine is broken and the other is faded a different colour. Anyone selling a nice set?

i have a set on thesamba for sale. 10US for the pair. i can find out shipping price on monday if you want them. same username on thesamba. pics are in the ad. pm me if you are interested in them