Clutch slipping

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardAlexander

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia
So took the bus out yesterday did about 150 miles about 1/2 way through the journey noticed if I went up hill the clutch starting to slip.

Is there adjustment for the clutch or does this sound like a new clutch

There is adjustment.
Its at the gearbox end of the cable. Its a wing nut.
Id try unwinding it 3 to 4 complete turns.
It should improve things.
If it doesnt, id start doing your homework on who does the best clutches etc.....

Rich

Yes the clutch arm on the left side of the gearbox has a wing nut if you turn it anti clockwise it will stacken the cable an should help with the slipping.
This will work if the cable has been set up wrong and there is no free play at the pedal.
If there is already free play in the pedal and you loosen it too much it will be hard to get into first and reverse.
You many have to find a happy medium.
Have you got an oil leak? A rear main seal failure will make the clutch slip

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

As a heads up last year I was thinking this same thing was happening to me, felt my clutch getting gummy until it finally "went". So I got to business after towing it home pushing it up in the drive and started wrenching went down got a new clutch and pressure plate assy. Pulled mine which still looked pristine no broken teeth, clutch was not burnt, a little mystified by this.
I let that night come and go. The next day I tended to a couple other issues at hand and put my engine back in.

Started right up rolled out of the drive, engaged the clutch and went nowhere. I was baffled, come to find out I had a loose rear brake drum (right hand side) and it was gradually 'slipping'. Turns out that slipping was my drum hopping, or machining itself. Until that fateful day, it machined itself smooth. Good news I fixed somethings, got a new clutch and. . . A new old brake drum. Tightened the hell out of my rear axel nuts.

So this wouldn't happen again.

Btw this is how it should look. (That is if your early is a wide five) ;)

Just a heads up. Been there did that.
-Eddie

Latest posts