Coloured dash?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to revive this but I was thinking of doing the same thing. Have a LHD so the dash is black padded and I much prefer the painted look.
Am I correct in thinking you can scrape the padding off and you're left with a metal dash? If so, what paint is then recommended?
Also is this the correct code for Savannah Beige: L 620 (02) ?
And finally, I think I may have to steal Foz's idea of white inners for the dials. It was actually that bus that turned my head to painted dashes.

Hello VanillaBear.

I also like the metal dash, so when restoring my 71 I scraped of the padding. there were some hided holes at the passenger side predrilled so you just have to do a hole in the padding to put in a new switch or so. There also were four holes on each side of the dash for unknown reason, maybe to ease mounting the padding... So I did some welding and the painter put on tin(spartle?) before painting in Montana red. Also the hole for the radio were larger then original, so if you want original blanking plate or original size radio you have to check the hole. I'm going to put VDO oil temp, oil pressure and wideband lambda in mine and the T2 blanking plate is to small to work for the instruments. I use a blanking plate for T25 wich is larger than T2s plate...
Pics...

After sandblasting...

mounted!

Cheers
Daniel Thelin

asyhy8yn.jpg

Mines a us bus, all the black padding was stripped off and the slots on the left and right hand side bottom were left, black mesh was placed behind and tweeters were mounted behind this! Two mid range speakers were mounted in the dash top under the perforations/grill, and of course sprayed rallye yellow to match the lower part of my bus :)

I was wondering how the painted dash was done. So basically its just metal underneath and u strip it down

Juppster11 said:
asyhy8yn.jpg

Mines a us bus, all the black padding was stripped off and the slots on the left and right hand side bottom were left, black mesh was placed behind and tweeters were mounted behind this! Two mid range speakers were mounted in the dash top under the perforations/grill, and of course sprayed rallye yellow to match the lower part of my bus :)

Thinking of stripping the padding off my dash, not to paint but cover in leather. Any tips....? Nice bus too. Ben

Bay-low71 said:
Juppster11 said:
asyhy8yn.jpg

Thinking of stripping the padding off my dash, not to paint but cover in leather. Any tips....? Nice bus too. Ben

I was going to do leather, had to buy an extra hide just to do down my interior door strips... Got talked out of it, think a matching leather dash top would look mint. Still in the back of my mind for mine... BTW the kick panels in the picture were just offered up not fitted like that :)
8ese5uje.jpg

I love the colour coded dash look.
My 68 is a us import (so has the black plastic dash)
Is there anywhere I can buy a lhd metal dash that I could have painted to match my bus?

dubbedup67 said:
I love the colour coded dash look.
My 68 is a us import (so has the black plastic dash)
Is there anywhere I can buy a lhd metal dash that I could have painted to match my bus?

There's a few on eBay right now!

I can only speak for myself but I would be careful about painting the section directly under the screen anything other than black. I painted mine in a colour originally and the reflection off the screen really p**sed me off, just a thought. Here is mine (2nd custom one)

DSCF7443.jpg

This is the first version which I'm gonna sell, anyone interested?

DSCF5108.jpg

Latest posts