Concorde smells like a van...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosko returns

Reaction score
As part of one of the oddest days at work I've ever had I ended up in the company of someone who had the keys for Concorde 8) . Four of us nipped aboard and discovered that as well as having an interior very reminiscent of the Devon Moonraker that was my first camper (brown and orange) it smells like a van with a slightly leaky pop top that has been parked up for a year or two. Could be the ultimate barn find but the engines were missing and might cost a few bob to replace...

we saw one when we were in barbados 3 years ago parked up outside the grantly adams airport. i wanted to go down and see if we could get on board but decided not too which i regret.

concorde-barbados.jpg

it was £10 to get the tour.

I remember as a kid stood in the back garden of my parents house in Downend Bristol seeing the British Concorde fly over the house on its maiden flight from Filton to RAF Fairford. And school trip to see the engines being built at Rolls Royce in Filton. Only ever seen closeup what I think was a mock up of the cabin/flight deck in the old museum on the Waterside. God I all of a sudden I feel old, must go and lie down as I guess so many on the forum wouldn't even have been thought of yet alone born when this took place :lol:

Absolutely stunning sight, such a shame there was no economical way for it to keep flying be it BA or even Virgin as a Branson publicity stunt

Johnny said:
we saw one when we were in barbados 3 years ago parked up outside the grantly adams airport. i wanted to go down and see if we could get on board but decided not too which i regret.

concorde-barbados.jpg

it was £10 to get the tour.

Funny enough thats got me thinking Concorde sat on an airstrip left to rot where she was born in Bristol,with a larger population than Barbados,and in Barbados she is covered up and treated like Royalty.I think it is a Disgracefull that Bristol treat her in that way :evil: :evil:

Experiencing their sonic booms close up is brown trouser making!

I remember sailing across the Channel with my parents, mid-Channel and out of sight of land, when suddenly there were a couple of very loud bangs in quick succession, and that was over the noise of the engine, which for a split second I thought had failed in a major way! My god did we jump! :shock:

I drive passed one everyday ;) its about 1/4 mile from my house at the Filton airstrip (top of my road) its sitting there gathering moss mostly :lol:

bugger said:
Funny enough thats got me thinking Concorde sat on an airstrip left to rot where she was born in Bristol,with a larger population than Barbados,and in Barbados she is covered up and treated like Royalty.I think it is a Disgracefull that Bristol treat her in that way :evil: :evil:
Sadly there are lots of aircraft sat rotting where they should be preserved, Vulcan XM603 at Woodford got scrapped a while back, can't think of any other surving Vulcans left in the Anti-Flash white colour scheme :(