Conversation corner: original rubber mats

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1961bluebug

Reaction score
I did my car a favor and purchased a full Wolfsburg West floor mats for front, walk through and rear passenger compartment. Now I wonder of the "checkered" design of the underside. What was the intended purpose?

Some ideas:

-more spongy,/comfy feel for your legs
-anti vibration?
-sound dampening?
-easier to dry out water?

Who knows better?

Jan

Yes , that`s pretty much what I would have come up with and maybe not the last one as I can`t see that making much difference (water) but who knows. I would have thought a little air barrier may even provide a morsel of thermal insulation as well as sound deadening. The little compartments also let a harder and more wearable material be a little more stable as in less slippy. As with most things, these were built as a cheapo van back in the day and the camper bit was maybe less than secondary and maybe made for a small percentage of their sales against the stock commercial vans, sc`s crewies, microbuses etc etc etc. Great thought too,, you.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,Not designed necessarily for stilletos :mrgreen:

the mat for the rear compartment is really really heavy so I think that sound deadening is a legit idea :)

Yeah, imagine how heavy it would be if it was that thick and solid too. :shock:
Have you driven in a van with nothing but a drivers seat, it just echoes in your ears.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,might do better mpg though :mrgreen:

All of the above plus reduced contact area means less water sandwiched between the mat and floor.

Latest posts