Cooker recommendations..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

983 Huey

Reaction score
Busy getting bits together to kit out the inside of our van, wondered what cookers people had fitted and what people recommend, any to avoid etc..
Probably going for a fairly simple 2 ring setup.

Cheers, Doug.

I had small smev sink/1 burner in my eriba and it was canny. The 2 burner ones are good and narrow as well and easy to fit.

Most people I know with one in the van never use it as it stinks the van out with anything other than boiling water.

I had this issue in my T25 so just went with a coleman dual fuel on a shelf.

Each to their own though!

I've got a portable cooker with a single burner and disposable bottles, I've got a washing machine fire pit stroke barby stroke pizza oven, and I've got a tiny fold up barby for days out type things. My thinking is all of the above ^^^ plus I'm running like this to see exactly what I want from my new interior that's still on the drawing board. I don't want to introduce too much steam/rust into my vans interior so I mostly cook outside in the gazebo however the cooker works better on windy days when it's well protected in the van but just with the slider wide open. I still don't like the idea of grease and stuff splashing about in the van but I do like to have a cuppa coffee in bed when I'm away so using it with the sliding window open. Occasionally I would prefer a larger gas supply and maybe two burners and they are cheap as chips so I could have two which then means if one goes Pete Tong then you still have one to work with.So my conclusions for me and what I'd like is a two ring burner piped to a bottle and maybe or possibly a twist or a modern version of the Devon cooker unit that sits in the van just inside the door but has a mahoosive hinge so it swings out side with just a little effort. I've been toying with the idea like this but a fixed unit with a bottle in that could also feed my propex and have the cooker sliding out on a drawer or just runners type arrangement possibly with a gallows type prop or a gallows type stay to triangulate the thing. At the moment I have a small wooden bedside chest of drawers just inside the slider behind the passenger seat that I use for crockery and cutleryand replacement gas bottles etc and I use my single burner on that both inside and outside the van, it's adequate and works well, the bit it fails on is wind protection and could do with a little more height when outside, it's fine if you're sat on the rocky roller.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, as usual,, still a work in progress :mrgreen:

We're in the process of making a kitchenette using an Ikea butchers block and a smev sink and hob. As you can see we've reduced the dimensions from the first picture in the van in order to give us more space. It's boxes in on two sides and I'm making curtains from coffee sacks with pockets in for the other sides. The sliding door side will be a curtain to allow access for the water bottles which run with a whale pump tap. We've gone for the smallest camping Gaz size and it'll be strapped in along with the water bottles. There's still a surprising amount of space for pans etc and a small shelf at the top for cutlery etc. We've even made a chopping board from the cut out of the top of the block which is notched to sit over the sink for extra surface. We hope to have some sugru hooks and stuff for extra storage. Oh and we've a weathered piece of zinc to use as a splashback.
30f14c9146db90c48bc394a72ac494fb.jpg
0d16a31cd454e976685c39f54672219e.jpg
ba1396785cadd2885d3828575ea86dc0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

MisterListerSir said:
I now only cook outside or in the awning as it took 4 weeks to get the stink of onion out the van!!!!

I think the stink of onions in my van might actually be an improvement :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,, cheesy feet :mrgreen:

I've got a double smev. Awesome [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts