Couple of Window Rubber Questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Reaction score
Do the side windows (middle and rear) really use the same window rubber? With the rubbers being shaped for the 90 degree corners in the middle window, do these moulded corners really 'flatten out' enough to go round the 'rear upper' corner, on the rear side window, smoothly, with out looking 'bumpy'. Bit hard to explain that - hope it makes sense!

Secondly, when putting the windows back in with the new rubbers, do I push them in from the outside, and pull the rubber lip over the metal from the inside, or the reverse? I expect it will be obvious when I look at them, but not quite at that stage.

Get the rubber all on the glass and some washing line (i used the moden blue stuff coated in plastic) insert it in the inner grove of the rubber, then from the outside sit the whole window complete with seal in the frame with the bottom part of the rubber lipped over the inner metal flap already. Get someone to hold it from the outside whist your inside pulling the washing line out. The person outside needs to be hitting the glass with there palm to get it to sit correctly.

Cheers matt - so outside-in.
Need to go get washing line - and a mate! :D

I know washing-up liquid is a no-no in terms of corrosion - guessing talc would do a similar job of taking the 'tackiness' off the rubber and helping it slide into position...

we used talc and builders line, it's more pressure asserted from outside than a blow, although sometime you do need a thump just to ease it in.

make sure line crosses in groove, and I put bottom in first..not sure that it matters...just maintain inward force whilst using the line to pop the rubber over the metal window lip

fwiw I had 2 helpers on the outside - to minimise the singular effort but allowing good overall pressure by the fact their was 2 bodies on the outside....if that makes sense?

So - what about these side window rubbers - all the same?

When you are fitting a 3/4 rubber and a 1/4 light, does the main window part go in first, followed by the 1/4 light and rubber?

No get the 1/4 placed in and then put the 3/4 in. It is quite tricky to get the 1/4 to stay in properly when you are trying to force the 3/4 in. But you'll get there in the end just keep persisting.

Latest posts