creative Adjustable rear spring plates

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary,

I had a pair on my split and found they were only good for tuning.
Not cheap to adjust about an inch or so. Wouldn't buy again.

What you after ??

Mike

I can honestly say I would recommend them to anyone. I have had them on a split and on my bay. They definitely allow you to lower more than an inch. They will drop beyond anyones needs and once fitted are very very easy, and infinitely adjustable. You only need to undo the 4 spring plate cover bolts and pull the outer plate off by hand and move it a spline or two either way. The bolt adjuster can then be used for fine tuning.

Have a look at my thread (69 sneak preview), I have gone as low as I can without cutting the chassis on the back. The T2d white westy used the creative adjustable springplates and they notched the rear chassis.

The only negative is that it does limit your tyre size to 185's ( well it did on mine).

Tim - Road House Resto use them on the Speedmaster Bus.

Go for it.......! 8)

Hi Gary

They work differently to a normal spring plate, the plate that joins the rear assembly has no splines, just a hole. Then another part with splines fits through this hole and gives the support for the spring plate. I only dropped mine 1 spline I think, the spring plate has a 1 inch drop any way. I then adjusted it using the bolt to make it level. It is a 2 minute job to adjust the splines once fitted anyway. I would say when you have fitted it you could raise and lower by 4 inches in 5 minutes. Honest it is that easy.

The problem you have is with the drive shafts needing room to move up and down with the suspension this is where I had to fine tune, and the fact that my engine support bar is only3/4 inches off the ground. I cut the bumpstops down to 1/3 of original size and I have about 1/2 inch gap.

Ring me if you want more info.

Jon 07801 627195

hi Gary had these on my van a while now- brilliant. top piece of kit highly recommend. plus you can take your wheels of easy compared to other methods of lowering... :)

hi guys i just got mine delivered today with a weadeater beam also. what do i need to know when fitting the rear plates as ive not took the old ones off yet

andewilson said:
hi guys i just got mine delivered today with a weadeater beam also. what do i need to know when fitting the rear plates as ive not took the old ones off yet

just started mine tonight, you will need to disconect the rear brake lines. Not to much bother, make sure you clamp your flexi's

andewilson said:

You may not have to undo the brake lines if your bus is post August 69. I think the spring plates changed and included a slot for ease of fitting.

Oh great :roll: - another 'almost-68-only' item to make things more difficult....... :mrgreen:

angus said:
Oh great :roll: - another 'almost-68-only' item to make things more difficult....... :mrgreen:

OOOhhh u Bitch :oops: In me campest vioce ....Ive got these on the Gadget bus and TBH there mint and infinatly adjustable Id recommend them to anyone :mrgreen: They actully drop ur bus two splines when youve only done it one as the step is two inches i.e a spline so theres still loads of travel left too :mrgreen:

Gadget

No no, I was talking about the original VW ones fitted to our van, which have the handbrake cable going through a hole, and the fact that later ones have a slot to make life easier! As a '68 owner, I'm gradually discovering all of these little changes they made after my van was made :mrgreen:

The adustable swing arms themselves look a nice idea - one day....

Latest posts